|AerospaceEnergy and Oil & Gas|
- Texas, 1977
- Oklahoma, 1978
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., Duke University, 1977
- B.A., with highest honors, University of Oklahoma, 1974; Phi Beta Kappa
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Hudson-Hall-Wheaton American Inn of Court (Master)
Richard P. Hix
Richard Hix is a senior trial attorney who has successfully represented clients in major litigation in state and federal courts, as well as arbitration, throughout the United States. His cases have run the gamut of virtually every kind of commercial litigation, including disputes involving breach of contract, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) issues, business torts, oil and gas, environmental, tax, class actions, banking, antitrust, insurance, intellectual property, employment and securities. His expertise extends to all phases of large-scale civil litigation as well as appeals in both the state and federal court systems. Additionally, Richard has negotiated and assisted in structuring settlements of complex multi-party cases and has extensive experience in case evaluation and mediation of such matters. He also has extensive experience serving as a mediator.
Richard currently serves as an adjunct settlement judge for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma and formerly served for the Tulsa County District Court in the same capacity.
Richard’s achievements in business litigation have earned him inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation, securities litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers.
Prior to embarking on his legal career, the Duke Law School graduate served in the U.S. Air Force from 1967 - 1970.
- Dan M. Honnoll v. The GHK Company, Robert A. Hefner, III, Robert S. May, Unit Drilling Company, and El Dorado Dozers, Inc., District Court of Pushmataha County. Led a team of attorneys in successfully negotiating a settlement for defendant Unit Drilling Company in an environmental case in which tens of millions of dollars in damages were claimed by the plaintiff.
- The NORDAM Group, Inc. v. Raytheon Aircraft Company, American Arbitration Association. Successful settlement for plaintiff in a matter filed before an arbitration panel located in Wichita, Kansas, involving tens of millions of dollars in controversy.
- Robert W. Jackson and Robert W. Jackson Trust v. Stephen J. Heyman and Stephen E. Jackson, District Court of Tulsa County. Served as lead trial counsel in a corporate contract and business tort case resulting in a verdict and judgment of over $11 million. Also acted as chief appellate counsel; the appeal was successful, and the entire judgment was paid.
- Advance Research Chemicals, Inc. v. Praxair, Inc., U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Oklahoma. Successful settlement for the defendant, a multi-national chemical company, in a matter arising from an unsuccessful joint venture between parties.
- Decision Dynamics, Inc. v. Citgo Petroleum Corporation, et al., U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Oklahoma. Successfully represented defendant in an injunction trial in a case involving a contract for the creation of software for inventory control on a national basis. No injunction was entered, and the plaintiff’s copyright was cancelled by court order.
- MidAmerica Federal Savings and Loan Association v. Schearson/American Express, Inc., U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Oklahoma. Served as lead counsel for plaintiff in a breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and securities fraud case that ultimately resulted in a judgment of nearly $10 million for the client by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- Over the course of several years, successfully defended Public Service Company of Oklahoma (PSO) in approximately 50 proceedings for more than $1 billion (in aggregate) concerning its "take or pay" natural gas contracts.
- Commercial Financial Services, Inc. v. Gertrude A. Brady, U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Oklahoma. Acted as lead counsel in successfully negotiating a settlement for a large Chicago law firm facing various allegations of improper conduct, for which sanctions were sought.
- AUSA Life Insurance, et al. v. Bartmann, et al., U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Oklahoma. Represented Arthur Andersen, LLP, in a multi-billion dollar, multi-party securities fraud case that was in litigation for approximately five years.
- Aurora Natural Gas v. Continental Natural Gas and Gary Adams, U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Texas. Successful settlement for plaintiff in a case involving allegations of breach of contract as well as other business torts. Because much of the evidence was located in Tulsa, Oklahoma, satellite litigation occurred in the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Oklahoma.
- Pat Darby, David Darby and Roll-Tech, LLC. v. Darby Equipment Company, Edward Darby & Robert Darby, District Court of Tulsa County. Obtained jury trial verdict and sizeable judgment for plaintiff in a case alleging breach of contract and various business torts and involving demand for more than $10 million.
- Hill Resources Inc et al. v. Unit Drilling & Exploration et al., District Court of Oklahoma County. Obtained defense verdict in a jury trial in which the plaintiffs claimed breach of contract and various business torts and demand for more than $10 million.