|BiotechEnergy and Oil & GasFoodRenewable and Sustainable EnergySports|
- Oklahoma, 1994
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- J.D., magna cum laude, Oklahoma City University, 1994; Merit Scholar; Staff Editor, Oklahoma City University Law Review; Moot Court Board; Faculty Honor Roll; Phi Delta Phi
- B.S. (Mechanical Engineering), University of Oklahoma, 1991
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Past Director and President, Intellectual Property Law Section)
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Oklahoma Society of Professional Engineers
- The Association of University Technology Managers
- i2E, Inc (Secretary of the Board of Directors)
- Oklahoma Venture Forum (Director and Past Chairman)
- Christmas in April, Cleveland County, Inc. (Past President and Founding Member of the Board of Directors)
- Norman Planning Commission (Past Chairman and Commissioner)
- University of Central Oklahoma Entrepreneurship Program Advisory Board
Michael J. LaBrie
Shareholder, Director, Industry Group Leader
Mike LaBrie has concentrated his practice in all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent, trademark and copyright law and related litigation throughout his entire legal career. He currently serves on McAfee & Taft’s board of directors and as leader of the firm’s Biotech Industry Group, and has previously served as leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
Mike is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and has represented and counseled clients in patent matters involving preparing and prosecuting applications; portfolio management, acquisition and divestiture; licensing transactions; freedom to operate studies; infringement analysis; validity studies; opinions; interference proceedings; and litigation and other dispute resolution, all on an international basis. He has filed patent applications in virtually every country in the world.
His trademark practice is international as well and includes searching, clearing and acquiring trademark registrations; portfolio management; opinions; litigation; TTAB proceedings; and other dispute resolution. He is also very experienced in negotiating and drafting various intellectual property agreements including software, technology and joint development agreements.
Mike serves as chief intellectual property counsel for numerous public and private companies. He has also worked with numerous start-up companies by counseling them in intellectual property matters, assisting them with obtaining funding and providing contacts.
He is a contributing author of “State Trademark and Unfair Competition Law” and has presented papers and spoken on various intellectual property topics at continuing legal education seminars. His achievements have earned him inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; patent law; patent litigation; trademark law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers (“Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers”). He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Patent Lawyer of the Year” in 2013, “Oklahoma City Copyright Lawyer of the Year” in 2014 and 2016, and “Oklahoma City Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” in 2015, honors only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community. He has been recognized for his professional and civic contributions as a 2010 recipient of the The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award.
Active in the state’s legal and business communities, Mike has served on the board of directors and as president of the Intellectual Property Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association; serves as secretary of the board of directors of i2E, Inc., a non-profit for the commercialization of technology; and serves on the board of directors and has served as chairman of the Oklahoma Venture Forum. He is also a member of American Intellectual Property Law Association, International Trademark Association, the Association of University Technology Managers and other intellectual property organizations.
Mike holds a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and worked as an engineer for an oil field services company prior to entering law school.
- Patent, trademark, software, database and technology licensing transactions.
- U.S. and foreign trademark clearance, usage, protection and defense.
- U.S. and foreign patent prosecution
- Intellectual property conflicts before federal courts and administrative bodies, including the Trademark Trial and Appeal board and the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
- Patent freedom to operate, infringement and design-around studies.
- Representing buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions involving intellectual property.
- Counseling experience includes many industries: mechanical, chemical, software, computers, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, oil and gas, medical and food industries.
IN THE NEWS
Patent attorneys Mike LaBrie and Matt Gibson interviewed on likely impact of proposed Patent Reform Act of 2011
The Journal Record - May 24, 2011
State making strides
The Journal Record - October 27, 2009
AT THE PODIUM
Commercializing University Technologies: A Corporate Experience
Oklahoma BioScience Association Workshop SeriesOklahoma City, Oklahoma | November 17, 2011
How to Prepare for Life After the Patent Reform Act of 2011 and Other Recent Developments in Patent Law
Oklahoma BioScience Association's Workshop Series: How to do it!Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | May 19, 2011