- Oklahoma, 2011
- U.S. District Courts for the Western and Northern Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuits
- J.D., with highest honors, University of Oklahoma, 2011; Recipient, Nathan Scarritt Prize, S.T. Bledsoe Memorial Prize, Comfort Scholarship, 10 American Jurisprudence Awards
- B.S. (Economics), University of Oklahoma, 2008
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Zachary A.P. Oubre
Zach Oubre focuses his practice on intellectual property law, including trademark, copyright, patent, licensing, unfair competition, Internet law, and trade secret law, as well as the resolution of disputes involving intellectual property assets. Since joining McAfee & Taft in 2011, he has assisted in intellectual property suits involving trademark, patent, and copyright infringement as well as trade secret litigation. Zach has also assisted in trademark searches and infringement evaluations as well as preparing numerous trademark office action responses and participated in trademark opposition proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Zach’s practice also includes the representation of licensors and licensees in various intellectual matters, including the drafting and negotiation of contracts, as well as the representation of employers in drafting employment agreements to protect various intellectual property interests.
Outside of the intellectual property arena, Zach has represented clients in a broad range of commercial disputes and defended employers and management exclusively in employment matters. A portion of his practice remains devoted to complex commercial litigation and arbitration.
Zach has been interviewed by The Oklahoman, served as a guest legal columnist for The Journal Record business newspaper, and been a contributing writer to EmployerLINC.com, a law blog dedicated to employers and workplace issues.
Zach graduated with highest honors from the University of Oklahoma College of Law. As a law student, he was the recipient of numerous honors, including the Nathan Scarritt Prize for the highest academic standing in his class and American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Procedure II, Constitutional Law, Contracts, International Business Transactions, Patent Law, Property, Oil and Gas, Trial Techniques, Water Law, and Wills and Trusts.
While attending law school, Zach interned with the University of Oklahoma Office of Legal Counsel and worked on numerous litigation matters concerning the university. Before joining McAfee and Taft, Zach also worked for Cox Communications for five years as a sales manager while earning his undergraduate degree in economics from the Michael F. Price College of Business at the University of Oklahoma.
- Representation of numerous entities, including national food chains and national retail chains, with respect to trademark clearance and prosecution (e.g., searches, opinion letters, filing, prosecution, appeals and maintenance of applications and registrations) as wells as opposition proceedings.
- Representation of numerous entities with respect to enforcement of intellectual property rights involving print and online media, including a wide array of social media such as Facebook®, YouTube®, and Pinterest®.
- Representation of numerous entities involving the drafting of a wide range of agreements, including patent, trademark and copyright licenses, employment agreements, as well as coexistence and consent agreements.
- Representation of numerous entities for copyright prosecution and filing, including copyrights directed toward architectural designs and software.
- Obtained permanent injunction and award of attorneys' fees for multi-state restaurant chain in trademark infringement suit involving unapproved use of registered trademarks in social media in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement for multi-state clothing retailer in trademark infringement suit in Southern District of Texas.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of a plaintiff alleging infringement of a patent directed toward the oil and gas industry in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of a commercial weather company alleging claims of copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets against competitor in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Successfully defended against allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets by obtaining dismissal with prejudice in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained dismissal of patent infringement claims in favor of defendant software licensor and numerous licensees in Southern District of Florida.
- Obtained favorable settlement for movie producers in an action involving copyright ownership of documentary in Northern District of Dallas.
- Represented a premier manufacturer of metal buildings and structural steel components in the compilation, documentation, and transfer of its intellectual property portfolio as part of a merger transaction.
- Successfully defended against successor liability and fraudulent transfer claims made by Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner alleging more than $10 million dollars of liability by obtaining summary judgment in the Western District of Oklahoma. Judgment affirmed on appeal to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals despite appellant's arguments that district court should have abstained from litigation due to novel issues of state law.
- Obtained jury verdict of nearly $6 million on behalf of a national manufacturer of oil and gas equipment in an action against a former executive and former distributor involving allegations of unfair competition, breach of contract, tortious interference, conversion, deceptive trade practices, and breach of fiduciary duties in District Court of Washita County, Oklahoma.
- Obtained confirmation of arbitration award in Eastern District of Texas while successfully defending against opposition moving to vacate the award.
- Obtained favorable settlement for investment company in Pennsylvania state court in commercial breach of contract suit.
- Obtained favorable settlement for subcontractor in multi-party construction litigation immediately prior to jury trial in District Court of Canadian County, Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of a sales representative seeking multi-million dollar damage award for breach of contract suit in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable judgment for purchaser of hospital assets in breach of contract case in District Court of Oklahoma County.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of commercial lessor in breach of contract suit and successfully obtained judgment of lessor's attorneys’ fees in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
- Successfully defended employer against breach of contract claims with motion to dismiss in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
Pro Bono Representation
- Successfully defended indigent individual against government allegations under the Fraudulent Claims Act seeking more than $300,000 of liability by obtaining dismissal of lawsuit in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement and order of final judgment for single mother in paternity suit seeking unpaid child support, custody determination, and child support in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
Consumer Protection in 2014: A Review of Recent FTC Consumer Protection Measures and Trends to Watch Out for in the New Year
For the Defense - June 2014
Legal risks on the rise for businesses that auto-dial, text
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet Intellectual Property Newsletter - November 2013
Keys to ensuring the secrecy of trade secrets
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet - March 2013
Concerns over copyright infringement drive Google to change search algorithms
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet - November 2012
Rehiring veterans is simple, but it can be dangerous for employers
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - September 2012
House bill takes aim against patent trolls, frivolous lawsuits
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet - August 2012
Learn about Section 1519
The Journal Record - February 23, 2012
- ‘Social’ Security: Protecting your company from the hidden pitfalls of social media - August 5, 2014
IN THE NEWS
Proposed Innovation Act would target abuse of patent litigation
The Oklahoman - November 15, 2013
Veterans have job rights
The Oklahoman - September 14, 2012
AT THE PODIUM
Intellectual Property Is Relevant To Every Business
Tulsa County Bar Association CLE SeminarTulsa, OK | December 16, 2014
‘Social’ Security — Protecting your company from the hidden pitfalls of social media
EmployerLINC WebinarOnline | August 5, 2014
Sweepstakes, Contests and Not Gambling
2013 Intellectual Property Law Seminar and Mid-year Meeting of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Oklahoma Bar AssociationDallas, Texas | July 9, 2013