- Oklahoma, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- J.D., with highest honors, University of Oklahoma, 2011; Recipient, Nathan Scarritt Prize, S.T. Bledsoe Memorial Prize, Comfort Scholarship, 10 American Jurisprudence Awards
- B.S. (Economics), University of Oklahoma, 2008
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Zachary A.P. Oubre
Zach Oubre’s practice encompasses the areas of intellectual property law and litigation, sweepstakes and contest law, internet law, and commercial litigation. His intellectual property practice includes trademark, copyright, patent, and trade secret law as well as litigation involving trademark, patent, copyright infringement as well as trade secret litigation.
As part of his intellectual property practice, Zach handles a wide array of licensing and other transactional matters involving IP assets. He routinely assists clients with the clearance, prosecution (searches, opinion letters, filing, prosecution, appeals and maintenance of applications and registrations), and enforcement of trademarks as well as opposition, cancellation and post-grant review proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. His practice also includes negotiating and drafting intellectual property and software license agreements, purchase agreements, as well as coexistence and consent agreements concerning intellectual property. Zach has also assisted clients with copyright prosecution and filing.
Zach’s experience includes work in the area of sweepstakes and contest law and other laws affecting sales promotion activities, and he has assisted multiple Fortune 100 companies in the development and drafting of rules governing promotional sweepstakes and contests. With respect to internet law, Zach has assisted numerous clients with drafting enforceable terms and conditions for their websites as well as privacy policies that conform to the numerous state and federal laws regarding consumer privacy and data protection.
Outside of the intellectual property arena, Zach has represented clients in a broad range of commercial disputes and defended employers and management in employment and other commercial matters. A portion of his practice remains devoted to complex commercial litigation.
Zach has been interviewed by The Oklahoman, served as a guest legal columnist for The Journal Record business newspaper, and been a contributing writer to EmployerLINC.com, a law blog dedicated to employers and workplace issues. He also regularly provides lessons on intellectual property law at the Oklahoma City University Meinders School of Business.
Zach graduated with highest honors from the University of Oklahoma College of Law. As a law student, he was the recipient of numerous honors, including the Nathan Scarritt Prize for the highest academic standing in his class as well as ten American Jurisprudence Awards. While attending law school, Zach interned with the University of Oklahoma Office of Legal Counsel and worked on numerous litigation matters concerning the university. Before joining McAfee and Taft, he worked for Cox Communications for five years as a sales manager while earning his undergraduate degree in economics from the Michael F. Price College of Business at the University of Oklahoma.
- Obtained permanent injunction and award of attorneys' fees for multi-state restaurant chain in trademark infringement suit involving unapproved use of registered trademarks in social media in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement for multi-state clothing retailer in trademark infringement suit in Southern District of Texas.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of a national personnel company in trademark infringement suit in Southern District of Texas.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of a plaintiff alleging infringement of a patent directed toward the oil and gas industry in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of a commercial weather company alleging claims of copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets against competitor in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Successfully defended against allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets by obtaining dismissal with prejudice in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlements in favor of defendant retailer in copyright infringement suits in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement for movie producers in an action involving copyright ownership of documentary in Northern District of Dallas.
- Represented a premier manufacturer of metal buildings and structural steel components in the compilation, documentation, and transfer of its intellectual property portfolio as part of a merger transaction.
- Represented investment company in the compilation, documentation, and transfer of intellectual property portfolio in an acquisition transaction.
- Obtained favorable judgment in favor of insurance company against former employee in misappropriation of trade secrets action in District Court of Oklahoma County.
- Obtained cancellation of federal trademark registration in proceedings before the Patent and Trademark Office in favor of multi-state retail clothing company.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of national food distributor in opposition proceeding before the Patent and Trademark Office.
- Representation of numerous entities, including national food chains and national retail chains, with respect to trademark clearance and prosecution (e.g., searches, opinion letters, filing, prosecution, appeals and maintenance of applications and registrations) as wells as opposition proceedings.
- Representation of numerous entities with respect to enforcement of intellectual property rights involving print and online media, including a wide array of social media such as Facebook®, YouTube®, and Pinterest®.
- Representation of numerous entities involving the drafting of a wide range of agreements, including patent, trademark and copyright licenses, employment agreements, as well as coexistence and consent agreements.
- Representation of numerous entities involving the review and negotiation of commercial software licenses, promotional contest terms and conditions, as well as the terms and privacy policies governing commercial websites.Representation of numerous entities for copyright prosecution and filing, including copyrights directed toward architectural designs and software.
- Successfully obtained reversal of judgments against numerous multi-state restaurant companies in appeal before Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals.
- Successfully defended against successor liability and fraudulent transfer claims made by Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner alleging more than $10 million dollars of liability by obtaining summary judgment in the Western District of Oklahoma. Judgment affirmed on appeal to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals despite appellant's arguments that district court should have abstained from litigation due to novel issues of state law.
- Obtained jury verdict of nearly $6 million on behalf of a national manufacturer of oil and gas equipment in an action against a former executive and former distributor involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, breach of contract, tortious interference, conversion, deceptive trade practices, and breach of fiduciary duties in District Court of Washita County, Oklahoma.
- Obtained confirmation of arbitration award in Eastern District of Texas while successfully defending against opposition moving to vacate the award.
- Obtained favorable settlement for medical company in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, in suit against information systems company.
- Obtained favorable settlement for investment company in Pennsylvania state court in commercial breach of contract suit.
- Obtained favorable settlement for subcontractor in multi-party construction litigation immediately prior to jury trial in District Court of Canadian County, Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of a sales representative seeking multi-million dollar damage award for breach of contract suit in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable judgment for purchaser of hospital assets in breach of contract case in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of commercial lessor in breach of contract suit and successfully obtained judgment of lessor's attorneys’ fees in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
- Successfully defended employer against breach of contract claims with motion to dismiss in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
Pro Bono Representation
- Successfully defended indigent individual against government allegations under the False Claims Act seeking more than $300,000 of liability by obtaining dismissal of lawsuit in Western District of Oklahoma.
- Obtained favorable settlement and order of final judgment for single mother in paternity suit seeking unpaid child support, custody determination, and child support in District Court of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
Consumer Protection in 2014: A Review of Recent FTC Consumer Protection Measures and Trends to Watch Out for in the New Year
For the Defense - June 2014
Legal risks on the rise for businesses that auto-dial, text
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet Intellectual Property Newsletter - November 2013
Keys to ensuring the secrecy of trade secrets
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet - March 2013
Concerns over copyright infringement drive Google to change search algorithms
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet - November 2012
Rehiring veterans is simple, but it can be dangerous for employers
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - September 2012
House bill takes aim against patent trolls, frivolous lawsuits
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet - August 2012
Learn about Section 1519
The Journal Record - February 23, 2012
- ‘Social’ Security: Protecting your company from the hidden pitfalls of social media - August 5, 2014
IN THE NEWS
Proposed Innovation Act would target abuse of patent litigation
The Oklahoman - November 15, 2013
Veterans have job rights
The Oklahoman - September 14, 2012
AT THE PODIUM
Intellectual Property Is Relevant To Every Business
Tulsa County Bar Association CLE SeminarTulsa, OK | December 16, 2014
‘Social’ Security — Protecting your company from the hidden pitfalls of social media
EmployerLINC WebinarOnline | August 5, 2014
Sweepstakes, Contests and Not Gambling
2013 Intellectual Property Law Seminar and Mid-year Meeting of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Oklahoma Bar AssociationDallas, Texas | July 9, 2013