Patricia Rogers is a healthcare lawyer whose practice is concentrated in the areas of administrative and regulatory compliance, healthcare transactions, and business consulting. Her experience includes Medicare fraud and abuse and Stark compliance and analysis, advising healthcare providers and business associates on HIPAA privacy, security and breach notification, developing joint venture arrangements with physicians and other healthcare providers, development of medical staff bylaws for hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers, counseling on physician employment arrangements, Medicare enrollment and billing, review and analysis of contracts, and organizing professional corporations and other professional entities.
As part of her practice, she also frequently assists hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and other healthcare facilities with issues related to state licensure and permits, obtaining psychiatric certificates of need, EMTALA compliance, Medicare conditions of participation and Joint Commission, DNV Healthcare, and AAAHC accreditation standards, including requirements related to changes in ownership, and advises physicians and practitioners regarding professional licensure standards.
Patricia is particularly regarded for her knowledge and expertise on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and leads the firm’s dedicated HIPAA Compliance and Health Privacy Team. Her extensive work in the area includes assisting clients in assessing their vulnerabilities and risks, developing and implementing HIPAA-compliance programs and guidelines, conducting internal investigations, and responding to consumer complaints and state and federal investigations regarding alleged breaches. She also provides training to covered entities and their business associates.
Her achievements have earned her inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (health care law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers, where she has been named to its list of “Top 25 Women Lawyers.” She was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Health Care Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, an honor only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community.
Prior to entering law school, Patricia was employed in management positions with healthcare institutions and served as the administrator for the institutional review board at an academic medical center. She was formerly an active duty and reserve officer in the U.S. Air Force Medical Service Corps.
- Assisted an energy company in investigating a potential HIPAA breach involving hundreds of health plan members and a health care provider and reached a satisfactory resolution without any government complaint or investigation.
- Continued representation of an Oklahoma company that owns and operates pharmacies throughout the state with all HIPAA-related work, including review of all authorizations, subpoenas and court orders for pharmacy records.
- Assisted a large regional not-for-profit health system in the acquisition of a hospital by handling all federal and state regulatory filings and approvals, including psychiatric certificate of need.
- Represented a national health care company in obtaining certificates of need for psychiatric bed expansions at several facilities in Oklahoma.
- Assisted a rural Oklahoma hospital in developing a compliance program, training and policies and procedures and providing reports to the OIG following a settlement with the federal government.
- Serves as general counsel for a public trust hospital and advises on all legal issues, including negotiating joint ventures with physicians, developing provider-based facilities, handling emergency detention issues in its behavioral health unit, and medical staff and personnel issues.
- Regularly counsel hospitals on responding to EMTALA complaints and Medicare and State Department of Health surveys, drafting corrective actions plans, and negotiating settlements.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (health care law)
- Named “Oklahoma City Health Care Lawyer of the Year” in 2013 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Top 25 Women Lawyers”
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Chair, Health Law Section, 2007-2008)
- Oklahoma Health Lawyers Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Leadership Oklahoma City (Class XXXIII)
- Children’s Hospital Community Council
- Friends of Cimarron Opera
- Citizens Caring for Children, Inc. (Board of Directors, 2009-2010)
- Festival of the Arts (Day Committee Chair, 2006-present)
- Infant Crisis Services, Inc. (Board of Directors, 2006-2008)
Physician Compensation Arrangements Under the Stark Law: Deciphering Fair Market Value, Commercial Reasonableness and the ‘Takes into Account’ Prohibition
New Oklahoma security law requires fingerprint-based background checks on certain healthcare employees
HIPAA — Countdown to New Regulations
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry Alert | August 29, 2013
New HIPAA regulations: Begin your compliance review now
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry Alert | January 31, 2013
HIPAA — not always the hippo'
The Journal Record | June 3, 2010
Mystery shoppers... Coming to a hospital near you
The Journal Record | September 2008
Stark for Beginners: An Introduction to the Federal Physician Self-Referral Law
Oklahoma Bar Journal, Health Law Edition | August 2007
In The News
The Oklahoman | December 31, 2014
The Oklahoman | January 30, 2014
The Oklahoman | August 2, 2013
The Oklahoman | April 25, 2007
At The Podium
Headaches in the Healthcare Workplace SeminarOklahoma City, Oklahoma | April 30, 2015
Healthcare Industry WebinarOnline | July 30, 2014
Stark Reality — Navigating the requirements for fair market value in physician compensation arrangementsMcAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry WebinarOnline | June 25, 2014
South Oklahoma City Lawyer’s AssociationOklahoma City, Oklahoma | March 27, 2014
Oklahoma Bar Association Annual MeetingOklahoma City, Oklahoma | November 13, 2013
McAfee & Taft Legal Webinar SeriesSeptember 12, 2013
Healthcare Luncheon Seminar: Vital SignsOklahoma City, Oklahoma | September 14, 2011
Healthcare Luncheon Seminar: Responding to Economic and Reimbursement ChallengesOklahoma City, Oklahoma | October 9, 2009
HIPAA for Lawyers — Countdown to enforcement
September 12, 2013