- Oklahoma, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- J.D., summa cum laude, Oklahoma City University, 1999; Managing Editor, Law Review; Outstanding Graduate, Class of 1999
- M.H.S. (Health Policy and Management), Johns Hopkins University, 1985
- B.A. (Anthropology), magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh, 1983
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Chair, Health Law Section, 2007-2008)
- Oklahoma Health Lawyers Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Leadership Oklahoma City (Class XXXIII)
- Friends of Cimarron Opera
- Citizens Caring for Children, Inc. (Board of Directors, 2009-2010)
- Festival of the Arts (Day Committee Chair, 2006-present)
- Infant Crisis Services, Inc. (Board of Directors, 2006-2008)
Patricia A. Rogers
Shareholder, Practice Group Leader
Patricia Rogers is a healthcare lawyer whose practice is concentrated in the areas of administrative and regulatory compliance, healthcare transactions, and business consulting. Her experience includes Medicare fraud and abuse and Stark compliance and analysis, advising healthcare providers and business associates on HIPAA privacy, security and breach notification, developing joint venture arrangements with physicians and other healthcare providers, development of medical staff bylaws for hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers, counseling on physician employment arrangements, Medicare enrollment and billing, review and analysis of contracts, and organizing professional corporations and other professional entities.
As part of her practice, she also frequently assists hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and other healthcare facilities with issues related to state licensure and permits, obtaining psychiatric certificates of need, EMTALA compliance, Medicare conditions of participation and Joint Commission, DNV Healthcare, and AAAHC accreditation standards, including requirements related to changes in ownership, and advises physicians and practitioners regarding professional licensure standards.
Patricia is particularly regarded for her knowledge and expertise on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and leads the firm’s dedicated HIPAA Compliance and Health Privacy Team. Her extensive work in the area includes assisting clients in assessing their vulnerabilities and risks, developing and implementing HIPAA-compliance programs and guidelines, conducting internal investigations, and responding to consumer complaints and state and federal investigations regarding alleged breaches. She also provides training to covered entities and their business associates.
Her achievements have earned her inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (health care law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. She was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Health Care Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, an honor only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community.
Prior to entering law school, Patricia was employed in management positions with healthcare institutions and served as the administrator for the institutional review board at an academic medical center. She was formerly an active duty and reserve officer in the U.S. Air Force Medical Service Corps.
- Assisted an energy company is investigating a potential HIPAA breach involving hundreds of health plan members and a health care provider and reached a satisfactory resolution without any government complaint or investigation.
- Continued representation of an Oklahoma company that owns and operates pharmacies throughout the state with all HIPAA related work, including review of all authorizations, subpoenas and court orders for pharmacy records.
- Assisted a large regional not-for-profit health system in the acquisition of a hospital by handling all federal and state regulatory filings and approvals, including psychiatric certificate of need.
- Represented a national health care company in obtaining certificates of need for psychiatric bed expansions at several facilities in Oklahoma.
- Assisted a rural Oklahoma hospital in developing a compliance program, training and policies and procedures and providing reports to the OIG following a settlement with the federal government.
- Serves as general counsel for a public trust hospital and advises on all legal issues, including negotiating joint ventures with physicians, developing provider-based facilities, handling emergency detention issues in its behavioral health unit, and medical staff and personnel issues.
- Regularly counsel hospitals on responding to EMTALA complaints and Medicare and State Department of Health surveys, drafting corrective actions plans, and negotiating settlements.
Government targets ‘risky business’ with free HIPAA assessment tool
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry Alert - April 9, 2014
New Oklahoma security law requires fingerprint-based background checks on certain healthcare employees
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry Alert - January 31, 2014
HIPAA — Countdown to New Regulations
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry Alert - August 29, 2013
New HIPAA regulations: Begin your compliance review now
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry Alert - January 31, 2013
HIPAA – not always the ‘hippo’
The Journal Record - June 3, 2010
- Mystery shoppers... Coming to a hospital near you
Journal Record - September 2008
- Stark for Beginners: An Introduction to the Federal Physician Self-Referral Law
Oklahoma Bar Journal, Health Law Edition - August 2007
- Critical Response: What you need to know when facing government healthcare investigations - July 30. 2014
- Stark Reality: Navigating the requirements for fair market value in physician compensation arrangements - June 25, 2014
- HIPAA for Lawyers — Countdown to enforcement - September 12, 2013
IN THE NEWS
Law requires stringent screening of certain health care employees
The Oklahoman - January 30, 2014
Legislature changes fees for obtaining medical records
The Oklahoman - August 2, 2013
Companies send festival volunteers on the clock
The Oklahoman - April 25, 2007
AT THE PODIUM
Critical Response — What you need to know when facing government healthcare investigations
Healthcare Industry WebinarOnline | July 30, 2014
Stark Reality — Navigating the requirements for fair market value in physician compensation arrangements
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Industry WebinarOnline | June 25, 2014
HIPAA for Lawyers
South Oklahoma City Lawyer’s AssociationOklahoma City, Oklahoma | March 27, 2014
Advanced Stark and AKS Compliance: Case Studies and Hypotheticals
Oklahoma Bar Association Annual MeetingOklahoma City, Oklahoma | November 13, 2013
HIPAA for Lawyers — Countdown to enforcement
McAfee & Taft Legal Webinar SeriesSeptember 12, 2013
Ownership Disclosure Requirements and Other Regulatory Updates
Healthcare Luncheon Seimnar: Vital SignsOklahoma City, Oklahoma | September 14, 2011, 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Hospital-Physician Integration: Employment Approach
Healthcare Luncheon Seminar: Responding to Economic and Reimbursement ChallengesOklahoma City, Oklahoma | October 9, 2009