|Agriculture and Equine|
- California, 1989
- Oklahoma, 1992
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Tax Court
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
- B.A., with honors, Stanford University, 1986; National Merit Scholar
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Vice President; Board of Governors, 2010-2012; Former Chair, Estate Planning, Probate and Trust; Former Member, Legal Ethics Committee)
- Oklahoma Bar Foundation (Fellow and Past President)
- Oklahoma City Estate Planning Council
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (Fellow)
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (Adjunct Professor)
- Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation (Planned Giving Council)
- Central Oklahoma Stanford Alumni Club (President)
- Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- SpiritBank (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Leadership Oklahoma (Class XVII)
Susan B. Shields
Susan Shields practices in the areas of tax and family wealth focusing on wealth transfer tax planning for high net worth families and individuals, business planning for closely held family businesses, estate and trust administration, business entity formation, and the formation and administration of tax-exempt organizations. She has also previously served as the leader of the firm’s Tax and Family Wealth Group.
Susan is a frequent speaker on a variety of estate planning, probate and nonprofit topics at professional and continuing legal education seminars and has served as an adjunct professor of law in estate planning at the University of Oklahoma College of Law. Her writing credits include “Oklahoma’s New Family Wealth Preservation Trust Act,” published on October 2, 2004, by the Oklahoma Bar Journal and “What Do You Need To Know About Oklahoma’s New Education Lottery?” published on January 15, 2005, by the Oklahoma Bar Journal. She also served as editor and coordinator of the “OBA/CLE 2001 Form Book” and the “OBA/CLE 2005 Form Book” published by the Oklahoma Bar Association.
Susan’s experience and expertise have earned her recognition in The Best Lawyers in America (business organizations; closely held companies and family businesses law; non-profit and charities law; tax law; tax litigation and controversy; trust and estates; trust and estate litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers, where she has been named to its prestigious “Top 25 Women Lawyers” and “Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers” lists. She was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, an honor only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community. She has also been recognized as Outstanding Pro Bono Lawyer by Legal Aid of Western Oklahoma in 1993, received the Oklahoma Bar Association's Earl Sneed Award in 2005 and its Mona Salyer Lambird Spotlight Award in 2011, and was named to the Journal Record's list of Leadership in Law honorees in 2011. Susan is also a two-time finalist for the Journal Record's Woman of the Year Award (2005 and 2010).
Susan is an elected fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and is currently serving as president of the Oklahoma Bar Foundation. She previously served a three-year term as a member of the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Board of Governors and has also taught estate planning and wealth transfer tax as an adjunct professor at the University of Oklahoma College of Law.
In addition to donating her time as a volunteer and member of the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation's planned giving council, Susan heads the Central Oklahoma Stanford Alumni Club and has served as a member of the board of directors for the Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits and on the board of directors for SpiritBank.
- All forms of wealth transfer tax planning and estate planning, including revocable trusts, wills, life insurance planning, dynasty trusts, GRATs, QPRTs, CRTs and IDGTs
- Business succession planning
- Asset protection planning, including family wealth preservation trusts
- Marital planning
- Family limited partnerships and family limited liability companies
- Tax-exempt organizations formation and ongoing advice on governance and transactions
- Will contest litigation and trust
- Probate and other postmortem planning
- Preparation and advice concerning estate and gift tax returns
Your OBF is Hard at Work
Oklahoma Bar Journal - Vol. 84, No. 23 - September 14, 2013
Counting on you
Oklahoma Bar Journal, Vol. 83, No. 33 - December 8, 2012
Practical advice for planned giving to nonprofit organizations
Oklahoma Bar Journal - Volume 83, No.14 - May 19, 2012
Cy Pres? S'il vous plait!
Oklahoma Bar Journal Vol. 83 - No. 11 - April 4, 2012
2010 year-end estate planning opportunity
McAfee & Taft Tax Bulletin - December 23, 2010
Do you need to update your estate plan?
McAfee & Taft AgLINC - March 2010
IN THE NEWS
Susan Shields sworn in as vice president of OBA Board of Governors
- January 10, 2014
Susan Shields named 2013 president of Oklahoma Bar Foundation
- January 31, 2013
AT THE PODIUM
Basics of Tax Classification — Public Charities, Private Foundations, Supporting Organizations
New Challenges for Nonprofit Organizations seminar presented by the Oklahoma Bar Association and Oklahoma Center for NonprofitsOklahoma City, Oklahoma | September 26, 2013
Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
The Legal Forum Radio SeriesOctober 29, 2011