- Oklahoma, 1984
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- J.D., University of Oklahoma, 1984; Phi Delta Phi; Dean's Honor Roll
- B.A. (Journalism), University of Oklahoma, 1981
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Health Law Section)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Booker T. Washington Foundation for Excellence (Board of Directors)
- Town & Country School (Board of Directors)
Susan E. Walker
Susan Walker’s multi-faced business and litigation practice is focused primarily on issues affecting the healthcare industry, including regulatory compliance matters, day-to-day business operations, healthcare transactions, and related litigation. Her clients include hospitals and hospital systems, behavioral health providers, physician groups, and individual physicians and practitioners. As part of her administrative and regulatory practice, she routinely advises healthcare providers and suppliers on matters such as Medicare/Medicaid compliance, fraud and abuse issues and Stark Law; ; internal audits and investigations; government agency and other payer investigations and inquiries; qui tam litigation under the federal False Claims Act; and review and negotiation of employment and other operational agreements.
As a member of the firm’s dedicated HIPAA Compliance and Health Privacy team, Susan advises healthcare providers and the business associates of covered healthcare entities of their obligations under federal and state law to ensure the privacy and security of protected health information and other confidential records. In addition to helping clients develop programs and guidelines to comply with HIPAA requirements, she also assists organizations with internal investigations and counsels clients on responding to federal and state-based breach complaints and investigations.
Susan also has substantial experience advising management in all aspects of the employer/employee relationship. Her experience includes drafting and negotiation of employment agreements, employee handbook and policy development, internal training presentations, and counseling employers on federal and multi-state employment law matters, including hiring, discipline, leaves, accommodations, wage and hour matters, and terminations.
Prior to joining McAfee and Taft in 2008, Susan served as senior attorney and director of compliance for Williams Communications, a former subsidiary of Williams. She began her legal career as a judicial clerk of the Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals for the Honorable Charles M. Wilson of Oklahoma City and the Honorable William W. Means of Tulsa.
Susan was recognized for her professional achievements by Tulsa Business & Legal News, which named her to its 2014 class of Power Attorneys and Legal Professionals. In 1989, she was honored by the Oklahoma Bar Association as the co-recipient of the Maurice Merrill Golden Quill Award for Outstanding Bar Journal Article for the article titled “Reducing Errors and Omissions in Records on Appeal,” 60 Okla. Bar Journal 1884.
- Assisted healthcare system with internal investigation and self-disclosure to the Office of Inspector General (OIG) resulting in favorable settlement in the area of Medicare fraud and abuse, civil monetary penalties laws and the federal False Claims Act.
- Assisted healthcare system with the development of compliance processes following Corporate Integrity Agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Assisted medical school in litigation with academic medical center regarding Medicare/Medicaid graduate medical education payments.
- Represented national telecommunications company in the drafting and negotiation of agreements relating to the construction of multi-state telecommunications network, including right of way and licensing agreements with states, cities, railroads, mass transit authorities and private landowners; property leasing; capacity arrangements; and construction issues.
- Representation of national supplier of building materials in subcontract and supply agreements with professional builders across the United States.
- Representation of oilfield and construction services industry clients in the negotiation of service agreements.
- Assisted food industry company with vendor and distribution agreements and related issues.
OIG issues additional guidance to healthcare boards regarding compliance efforts and oversight
McAfee & Taft Healthcare Update - May 26, 2015
Gone, but not forgotten
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - July 2011
Cool Hand Luke and the ADA
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - July 2010
- Reducing Errors and Omissions in Records on Appeal
60 Oklahoma Bar Journal - 1884 (1989)