|Energy and Oil & GasFoodHealthcareSports|
- Oklahoma, 1980
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Oklahoma, 1980; Order of the Coif; Board of Editors, Oklahoma Law Review; Phi Delta Phi
- B.A., University of Oklahoma, 1971; Phi Beta Kappa
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Labor & Employment Section; Dispute Resolution Section)
- American Bar Association (Labor & Employment Section; Dispute Resolution Section)
- Arts Council of Oklahoma City (Volunteer)
- Oklahoma City Public Schools Foundation (Former Board Member)
- Areawide Aging Agency (Former Board Member)
Elizabeth Scott Wood
Elizabeth Scott (Betsy) Wood's practice encompasses all areas of employment law. She represents employers in litigation in federal and state courts and before regulatory and administrative agencies and counsels companies regarding compliance with antidiscrimination, wage and hour, workplace safety, mandatory leave, employee benefits and all other federal and state employment laws and regulations.
Betsy also provides training to management and non-management employees in all areas affecting the employer/employee relationship and advises clients in connection with employee discipline, terminations and reductions in force, handbooks and policies, drug and alcohol programs, executive compensation, employment and non-competition agreements, individual and group severance programs and related matters. She also arbitrates third-party disputes and is on the American Arbitration Association's Employment and Commercial Rosters of Arbitrators and Mediators.
Before joining McAfee & Taft in 1986, Betsy was a litigation associate with Fagin, Hewett, Mathews & Fagin, P.C.
Betsy's achievements have earned her inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (employment law – management; labor law – management; labor and employment litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. In 2008, Betsy was recognized for her professional and civic contributions to the state by being named to The Journal Record's list of Leadership in Law honorees.
- Nationwide defense of employment litigation and arbitration matters, including discrimination, wage and hour, wrongful termination, employment contracts, commission disputes and non-compete agreements.
- Representation of employers before the EEOC and various state human rights agencies.
- Representation of employers in wage and hour and FMLA investigations by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Representation of employers in state wage and hour and unemployment claims.
- Drug Use: Clean and sober — and still a 'current' drug user under the ADA?
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - June 2011
- Age discrimination: Make up your mind — and stick to it
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - November 2009
Unemployment benefits? But he failed a drug test!
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - August 1, 2009
Discrimination: Even an open-and-shut case can cost you money!
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - February 1, 2009
- Immigration: DHS trying again on ‘no-match’ letter regulation
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter - December 2008
IN THE NEWS
Records are key in fighting benefits for drug users
- July 22, 2010
Companies send festival volunteers on the clock
The Oklahoman - April 25, 2007
Elizabeth Wood quoted in Oklahoman article on women's success in business
The Oklahoman - October 2, 2005
AT THE PODIUM
Ticking Time Bombs — How to diffuse bullying in the workplace
EmployerLINC 2012: ‘Adventures in HR’Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | April 10, 2012
Government Crackdown on Wage & Hour Issues
EmployerLINC 2011 Labor, Employment and Employee Benefits SeminarOklahoma City, Oklahoma | April 20, 2011, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Military Family Leave
HR Hero FMLA Master ClassOklahoma City, Oklahoma | May 26, 2010