Every December for the past 16 years, over 400 leading in-house counsel and drug and medical device litigators have gathered in New York to share outstanding networking and benchmarking opportunities, and to hear the latest, cutting-edge litigation strategies. This event is the premier industry showcase for hearing expert insights unavailable in any other forum, and for meeting the people that will shape the response to lawsuits in the year to come.
The drug and device industries face a landscape that has been complicated by a reinvigorated FDA and by high profile federal and state enforcement actions. Matters relating to manufacturing issues and product recalls, as well as government probes into both pre-market and post-marketing practices, are emerging frequently in litigation. In addition, the explosion of social media has created a new playing field where product information can suddenly go “viral” and influence both patients and jurors. Featuring industry-leading, uniquely qualified speakers, this year’s conference will provide attendees with the information and tools needed to successfully overcome the new threats brought by plaintiffs’ counsel in the difficult current legal climate.
McAfee & Taft trial lawyer Vani Singhal is one of the featured speakers during this conference, co-presenting a session titled "Exploring Device Manufacturers' Duty to Train Physicians on the Effective Use of a Particular Device." Topics that will be discussed during this session include:
- Offering training for new devices and novel technologies to the market
- Providing accurate and thorough instructions on the safe use of the product
- Determining what constitutes “adequate” training in the minds of the Court
- Developing defense strategies for plaintiff ’s failure to train negligence claims
- Ensuring that instruction manuals are updated for new indications of a device
- Hiring a consultant surgeon to host training sessions and demonstrate a live procedure
- Mitigating liability risks of sales reps in the operating room