McAfee & Taft assists businesses in the healthcare industry in all aspects of their operations and transactions. Our lawyers have expertise in the industry’s unique regulatory environment as well as the tax, employment, litigation and general business ramifications of our clients’ operations.
Our clients include charitable, religious-affiliated, university-affiliated and government hospitals and entities, as well as for-profit hospitals and organizations. We provide counseling regarding the tax implications of transactions for all clients as well as the operational issues unique to our charitable clients as a result of their tax-exempt status.
The Firm has worked with clients in numerous transactions involving healthcare organizations, as well as linkages between healthcare organizations and other organizations, including universities and colleges. McAfee & Taft counsels and advises clients on the fraud and abuse, tax, antitrust and securities implications related to joint venture arrangements, investment and ownership arrangements, development of outpatient and ancillary facilities, corporate affiliations and physician compensation relationships.
Other expert legal transactions and business consulting services provided by McAfee & Taft include:
- Assisting clients in their financing arrangements, both tax-exempt and taxable financing, including bank financing, bond financing, venture capital financing and private placements.
- Advising clients on real estate acquisitions and divestitures, as well as construction and development projects.
- Advising clients in matters of physician compensation, executive compensation, fringe benefits, ERISA obligations and other employment and benefit matters.
- Counseling healthcare industry clients on matters involving regulatory compliance with environmental laws in the context of ongoing operations and business transactions and representing them before governmental agencies that legislate and enforce environmental laws.
Our lawyers are available to provide a comprehensive range of legal services:
- Acquisitions/Divestitures of Healthcare Businesses
- Administrative and Regulatory
- Affiliations and Strategic Alliances
- Anti-Kickback and Stark
- Board of Trustees Matters
- Bond Financing
- Business Negotiations
- Certificates of Need
- Corporate and Operational Work
- Corporate Restructuring
- Credentialing and Peer Review
- Environmental and Air Quality
- ERISA and Employee Benefits
- Executive Compensation
- Facilities Development
- Financing Arrangements
- Government Investigations
- Health Plan Contracting
- HMO and Health Plan Regulation
- Home Health Agencies and Hospice
- Information Systems
- Insurance/Payer Arrangements
- Intellectual Property (Patents, Trademarks)
- Joint Ventures
- Labor and Employment
- Licensure and Regulation
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Loan Transactions
- Long-Term Care Facilities
- Medical-Ethical-Legal Issues
- Medical Malpractice and Negligence Defense
- Medical Records and Documentation
- Medical Staff Documentation
- Medical Staff Hearings
- Mergers, Reorganizations
- Physician Relationships
- Private Placements
- Professional Services Arrangements
- Real Estate, Construction and Development
- Risk Management
- Securities Law Compliance
- Strategic Planning
- Tax and Tax-Exempt Status
- Technology Transfer
- Venture Capital Financing