Our attorneys assist creative individuals and businesses in all stages of building and managing intellectual property portfolios. In the journey from concept to commercial reality, many clients desire to form ongoing relationships with other creative individuals and businesses. The task of negotiating these licensing and technology transfer contracts frequently is likened to the building of a new bridge. The goal is crafting a structure in which all participants profit in the form of increased economic activity, jobs and wealth.
At McAfee & Taft, we offer expertise in building bridges that promote the sharing of valuable propriety assets in interactive business opportunities. Our attorneys possess the necessary in-depth understanding of the substantive laws of patents, trade secrets and know-how, trademarks and copyrights, as well as the unique circumstances surrounding the licensing of these rights. As clients explore the possibility of entering into licensing agreements, we advise them regarding the disclosure and protection of confidential information. During negotiations, we offer experience in structuring a framework for dealing effectively with unforeseen circumstances and fostering a basis for mutual trust. Ultimately, our attorneys craft custom-tailored agreements that reflect the specific needs of the client and that reduce risks and maximize profitability.
McAfee & Taft’s licensing practice encompasses work in a wide array of industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, construction, chemical research and manufacturing, financial services, healthcare, and photographic and portrait services.
Representative examples of McAfee & Taft’s experience in intellectual property licensing include the following matters:
- Negotiating and drafting numerous agreements involving the license of patents, trademarks, trade secrets and know-how, copyrights, or a combination of these proprietary rights
- Negotiating and drafting a variety of software licensing agreements, ranging from online click-through, shrink-wrap and complex licensing and joint venture agreements
- Negotiating and drafting agreements licensing nationally known trademarks for Fortune 500 companies in various industries
- Negotiating and drafting supply, distribution and franchise agreements
- Representing clients in licensing disputes
In all cases, McAfee & Taft offers expertise in negotiating and constructing licensing agreements that bridge existing needs to future expansion and growth.