Tony Rahhal’s practice encompasses all areas of intellectual property law, including patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret law, Internet law and related areas. He has been registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office since 1993. He has also served as leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
Tony’s patent practice includes the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, preparation and prosecution of re-examination proceedings, preparation of infringement and validity opinions, patent infringement litigation, patent licensing, and auditing of patent portfolios. Tony’s practice is international in scope, and he has established relationships with associates in a number of foreign countries.
Tony’s trademark practice, which is also global in scope, encompasses all areas of trademark law and includes the searching and clearance of marks, preparation and prosecution of applications, management of trademark assets, licensing transactions, and practice before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in opposition, cancellation and concurrent use proceedings.
As part of his day-to-day practice, Tony serves as intellectual property counsel for a number of different companies and has extensive experience drafting and negotiating a variety of intellectual property agreements.
Tony’s achievements have earned him inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; patent law; patent litigation; trademark law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Patent Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, “Oklahoma City Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2016, and “Oklahoma City Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2017, honors given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each market.
In addition to having previously served as president of the Intellectual Property Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association, he is an adjunct professor of patent law at the University of Oklahoma and a member of the Oklahoma County Bar Association, Oklahoma Bar Association, American Bar Association and International Trademark Association.
Tony received a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Oklahoma State University and a Juris Doctor, with highest honors, from the University of Oklahoma College of Law. Prior to entering law school, he worked as an engineer for Rockwell International at its Tulsa, Oklahoma, facility from 1984 to 1988.
- Preparation of numerous patent applications for complex mechanical inventions in a wide range of industries.
- Representation in patent re-examination hearings.
- Representation of clients in proceedings before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
- Representation of clients in proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representation of licensors and licensees in patent, trademark and copyright matters, including the drafting and negotiation of contracts.
- Day-to-day counseling of public and private companies.
- Representation of companies and individuals in patent, trademark and copyright litigation.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; patent law; patent litigation; trademark law)
- Named “Oklahoma Patent Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, “Oklahoma City Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2016, and “Oklahoma City Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2017 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Past President and Director, Intellectual Property Section)
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
In The News
August 15, 2016
May 27, 2016
August 24, 2015
The Oklahoman | March 2, 2008