Bradley K. Donnell’s practice concentrates in general civil defense litigation. He has extensive experience in construction law, aviation law, bad faith law, and other general litigation matters. He has special expertise in the areas of aviation defense (representing pilots, mechanics, fixed-base operators and manufacturers in the aviation industry), construction defense (representing engineers, architects and contractors in complex construction disputes), liability defense, negligence/tort defense (including the defense of personal injury claims involving complex medical issues, oil and gas accidents, and forklift accidents), product liability defense (including manufacturers of airframes, engines, tires and lift trucks), and bad faith defense (representing insurers and employers in bad faith actions asserted by insureds and plan participants). Brad’s role in aviation and construction law has established him as one of the most experienced trial lawyers in these fields in the state.
He has previously served as co-leader of the firm’s Litigation Group.
Brad has participated in numerous seminars in employment and construction law and is one of only a few lawyers practicing in the Oklahoma City area who regularly practices general aviation defense. His achievements earned him inclusion in Benchmark Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation, construction law, construction litigation, labor and employment litigation, real estate litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. He was named “Best Lawyers’ 2012 Oklahoma City Construction Litigation Lawyer of the Year,” an honor only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community.
Prior to embarking on his law career, Brad served as a first lieutenant in the Air Force Reserves from 1988 to 1993.
- Successfully sought and obtained indemnity on behalf of employment placement firm in numerous tort matters.
- Successfully defended an aviation fixed-based operator in a five-day jury trial on claims of breach of bailment contract, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and punitive damages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an employer and owner of general aviation aircraft in a wrongful death case arising from an aircraft crash. Judgment affirmed on appeal. Price vs. Howard, 236 P.3d 82 (Okla. 2010).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an aircraft engine service facility in a contract and negligence case arising from a crash that resulted in total loss of an aircraft.
- Successfully defended an insurance company in a bad faith case in Oklahoma federal court, with the case settling while summary judgment was pending, and with the settlement funded entirely by a co-defendant.
- Obtained favorable resolution on behalf of a drilling company in a serious brain injury case resulting from a drilling rig accident.
- Obtained favorable resolution on behalf of the owner/operator of an aircraft in a wrongful death case concerning an accident that resulted in the death of five people.
- Obtained favorable resolutions on behalf of airlines and airline service providers against claims of premises liability and negligence in personal injury actions.
- Obtained favorable resolution for an employer in an action for wrongful death and serious injury brought by its employees under Parret resulting from a helicopter crash.
- Obtained directed verdict at jury trial on behalf of a fixed-based operator in a breach of contract action, which disposed of the plaintiff’s tort claims.
- Obtained dismissal of an action for failure to diligently prosecute and timely serve on behalf of an airline client. Affirmed on appeal. Morris vs. City of Oklahoma City, 232 P.3d 921 (Okla. Civ. App. 2010).
- Obtained summary judgment in wrongful death case in Cleveland, Ohio, concerning “coming and going” rule.
- Successfully defended employment placement firm in numerous tort/wrongful death actions.
- Successfully defended instructor pilot and flight school in 13-day wrongful death jury trial.
- Successfully defended manufactured home company concerning alleged defective product and breach of warranty claims.
- Successfully defended large tire manufacturing company in multiple “tire explosion” cases.
- Successfully negotiated resolution of multimillion-dollar engineering negligence case involving high-rise building in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Successfully defended multiple forklift cases involving negligent operation or use of forklift.
- Successfully defended multiple agricultural spray companies involving damages from alleged pesticide/herbicide drift.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of structural engineering firm from wrongful death matter involving design, layout, and setup of construction detour.
Honors and Awards
- Named a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation, construction law, construction litigation, labor and employment litigation, real estate litigation)
- Named “Oklahoma City Construction Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2012 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel
- Luther J. Bohanon American Inn of Court
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (Board of Directors)
In The News
October 5, 2017
August 15, 2017
October 19, 2016
November 2, 2015