David Spring’s practice is focused on general tax planning for corporations, partnerships, and individuals; wealth transfer tax planning; local, state and federal taxation; the tax structuring of business and commercial transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; and addressing a variety of issues related to qualified retirement plans. His broad range of clients include Fortune 500 corporations, publicly traded and closely held businesses, large energy companies, middle-market companies, hospitals, partnerships, universities and Indian tribes.
As part of his corporate and business practice, David advises closely held corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and public companies on entity selection, asset acquisitions and divestitures, and entity acquisitions, reorganizations and dissolutions. He also advises tax-exempt organizations on formation and administration issues.
The estate planning portion of David’s practice is focused on asset protection and wealth transfer tax planning. In addition to utilizing a variety of sophisticated estate planning techniques, including valuation discount planning and sales to grantor trusts, he also advises clients regarding estate and gift tax reporting issues and prepares estate and gift tax returns. He has successfully represented taxpayers in appeals to the IRS and the Oklahoma Tax Commission.
The employee benefits portion of David’s practice encompasses matters involving 401(k) plans, defined benefit plans, and employee stock ownership plans, as well as audits and investigations by the IRS and the U.S. Department of Labor.
David’s achievements have earned him inclusion in Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.
David holds both a B.B.A. in Accounting and a Master of Accountancy from the University of Oklahoma. He has been a licensed certified public accountant since 2010.
- Tax and non-tax issues in stock sales and purchases, partnership sales and purchases, asset sales and purchases, and reorganizations.
- Counsel to start-up businesses, including entity selection, tax, and general business advice.
- Acquisitions and divestitures of real estate.
- Tax-deferred (Section 1031) exchanges of aircraft and real estate.
- Estate planning, including revocable trusts, wills, life insurance planning, dynasty trusts and intentionally defective grantor trusts.
- Business succession and tax planning with family limited partnerships and family limited liability companies.
- Non-profit organization formation and governance.
- Tax audits, appeals and litigation.
- Administrative aspects of federal tax law, including obtaining private letter rulings.
- Preparation and advice concerning estate and gift tax returns.
- Worker classification issues.
- Compliance issues associated with retirement plans.
- Representation of clients before the U.S. Department of Labor during investigations and in correcting qualified retirement plan errors.
- Counsels clients regarding their fiduciary responsibilities. Counsels employers regarding corporate aircraft and fringe benefit taxation issues.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants