Elizabeth Scott (Betsy) Wood’s practice encompasses all areas of employment law. She represents employers in litigation in federal and state courts and before regulatory and administrative agencies and counsels companies regarding compliance with antidiscrimination, wage and hour, workplace safety, mandatory leave, employee benefits and all other federal and state employment laws and regulations.
Betsy also provides training to management and non-management employees in all areas affecting the employer/employee relationship and advises clients in connection with employee discipline, terminations and reductions in force, handbooks and policies, drug and alcohol programs, executive compensation, employment and non-competition agreements, individual and group severance programs and related matters. She also arbitrates third-party disputes and is on the American Arbitration Association’s Employment and Commercial Rosters of Arbitrators and Mediators.
Before joining McAfee & Taft in 1986, Betsy was a litigation associate with Fagin, Hewett, Mathews & Fagin, P.C.
Betsy’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (employment law – management; labor law – management; labor and employment litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers.
- Nationwide defense of employment litigation and arbitration matters, including discrimination, wage and hour, wrongful termination, employment contracts, commission disputes and non-compete agreements.
- Representation of employers before the EEOC and various state human rights agencies.
- Representation of employers in wage and hour and FMLA investigations by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Representation of employers in state wage and hour and unemployment claims.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employment law – management; labor law – management; labor and employment litigation)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award, recognizing legal professionals for their professional and civic contributions to the state (2008)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Labor & Employment Section; Dispute Resolution Section)
- American Bar Association (Labor & Employment Section; Dispute Resolution Section)
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Arts Council of Oklahoma City (Volunteer)
- Oklahoma City Public Schools Foundation (Former Board Member)
- Areawide Aging Agency (Former Board Member)
Drug Use: Clean and sober and still a 'current' drug user under the ADA?
Age discrimination: Make up your mind and stick to it
Immigration: DHS trying again on no-match' letter regulation
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter | December 2008
In The News
May 27, 2016
July 22, 2010
The Oklahoman | April 25, 2007
The Oklahoman | October 2, 2005