McAfee & Taft’s Entertainment Industry Group is a multi-disciplinary group of lawyers dedicated to providing comprehensive legal support to individuals, businesses, and large corporations engaged in the entertainment and creative arts industries.
Our lawyers represent professionals engaged in motion pictures, broadcast and cable television productions, direct-to-video productions, documentaries and educational media, recorded music projects and live performances, animation, theater, book publishing, online interactive entertainment and video games, agency and talent management, theme park and event design, merchandising and licensing, and fine art, art sales and art publishing.
Our leading attorney in this field, Jay Shanker, previously practiced in Los Angeles for nearly 25 years and has significant expertise in representing numerous entertainment companies, as well as individual actors, directors, producers, musical artists, authors, entrepreneurs and industry executives. Over the years, his individual clients have garnered prestigious international awards in every major creative media, including Oscar, Emmy, Grammy and Clio award recognition.
As part of our multi-disciplinary Entertainment practice, our lawyers regularly counsel and represent clients in matters involving:
- Acquisition and sale of “underlying rights” (e.g., screenplays, novels, life stories, etc.) as the basis for motion picture and television productions
- Motion picture and television production, financing and distribution
- Employment of actors, writers, directors, producers and other key production personnel
- Executive employment with studios, networks and other media companies
- Agency and talent management company representation
- Musical artist deals with record companies
- Author/Publisher deals for fiction and non-fiction books
- Merchandising and licensing of creative content
- Infomercials and product endorsements
- Copyright and trademark research and registration filings
- Formation and maintenance of artist loanout companies and production entities
- Branding, marketing and advertising
- Business formation, structuring and organization
- Taxation and wealth management
- Economic incentives
- Intellectual property portfolio management
- Resolution of business disputes
- Employee benefits and executive compensation
- Real estate, construction and development
For more information our related Sports Industry Group, click here.
In The News
The Journal Record | September 22, 2016