In addition to representing clients in a broad range of business-related transactions and litigation, McAfee & Taft also provides equally exacting legal representation to business clients on a personal level.
Our family law practice draws upon the firm’s strength and expertise in the areas of dispute resolution, accounting, tax law and business law, and melds it with decades of courtroom experience in domestic matters — all of which allows us to provide comprehensive, efficient and effective representation for clients confronting legal separation, divorce, custody or guardianship matters.
These days, the Internet offers “forms” for almost any purpose. At McAfee & Taft, our family law clients don’t receive forms; they receive dedicated service. Legal issues that affect families, including those involved in divorce, are challenging even in the best of circumstances. Emotions can run high, the process can be complex, and the advice required to make well-informed personal and business decisions spans multiple practice areas. Not only does McAfee & Taft have all the resources required to meet these demands, but we also have the knowledge and expertise to simplify the process and provide timely, complete advice.
Our approach also involves developing close working relationships to provide high quality and effective legal services that are unique to each client. As in our business practice, we are deeply committed to our clients, and understand that we play a key role in moving the process forward to efficient resolution.
Services and commitment
Because our clients typically have complex, often substantial, financial situations brought about by ownership interests or other close ties to a business, our practice is frequently called upon to facilitate the appropriate division of assets, including evaluations of closely held businesses, investments disclosed and undisclosed, and the resolution of related tax issues. Our services include the expertise offered by McAfee & Taft’s highly sophisticated Tax and Family Wealth Group in matters of estate planning, transactional work, and tax.
With respect to the involvement of children, our expertise incorporates all available tools to protect their best interests. Additionally, where dissolution requires the financial separation of households, McAfee & Taft has the expertise required to help our clients best navigate issues of spousal and child support. In situations where third-party management is deemed necessary to care for children or adults, the tools we offer include representation in actions to obtain or terminate guardianships.
A representative sampling of the successes achieved by our lawyers includes:
- Obtained successful decisions in court on behalf of our clients
- Obtained the appointment of receivers over endangered assets
- Obtained the appointment of guardians and guardian ad litems
- Obtained the appointment of custody evaluation experts
- Obtained summary judgments on critical assets
- Obtained successful settlements of all case issues, allowing our clients in those cases to retain final control over the resolution
- Successfully litigated protective or emergency order issues
- Resolved multi-state child custody conflicts, involving judges in as many as three states for one case
- Obtained and presented expert evidence on key assets, involving mineral interests, dealerships, construction companies, service entities, and large productive real estate holdings
- Obtained and presented expert evidence on business evaluations