Lauren Barghols Hanna’s state and federal litigation practice is focused on labor and employment law and general civil litigation, particularly in the areas of energy and water rights. Her practice in the area of water rights also frequently involves the representation of landowners in obtaining groundwater and streamwater permits for irrigation, oil and gas industry production, and other beneficial uses.
As a part of her employment practice, Lauren counsels and represents management exclusively in all phases of the employment relationship, including litigation matters involving discrimination and wrongful discharge claims, claims related to employment agreements, and other disputes arising from the workplace. She also works with employers in crafting appropriate employment policies and procedures, employee handbooks, non-disclosure/non-solicitation agreements, employee severance agreements, and releases.
Lauren is a contributing author to the Oklahoma Employment Law Letter and EmployerLINC, and has been interviewed by The Oklahoman, served as a guest legal columnist for The Journal Record business newspaper, and spoken at seminars on a variety of employment-related topics. She also authored the Oklahoma chapter of the LexisNexis Waters and Water Rights treatise.
Lauren’s achievements have earned her inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (labor and employment litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers.
In addition to her legal practice at the firm, she serves as a volunteer attorney for Oklahoma Lawyers for Children, a nonprofit organization that uses the time, talent and resources of qualified pro bono lawyers and others to represent and assist children in various matters, including parental termination jury trials, before the Juvenile Division of the Oklahoma County District Court. In 2014, the Oklahoma CASA Association, Inc. honored Lauren with its “Attorney of the Year” award for her work with OLFC, citing the integrity and consistency with which she represents her young clients.
- Obtained dismissal of wrongful termination suit brought by former human resources manager against a medical practice.
- Defended national telecommunications company in collective action litigation, where former employees sought overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for performing certain duties prior to clocking in for the day.
- Obtained summary judgment for client company in an ERISA benefits lawsuit where equitable claims of estoppel and surcharge asserted under ERISA Sec. 502(a)(3) were also claimed.
- Representation of Oklahoma Department of Tourism in lawsuit by Oklahoma Public Employees Union challenging denial of severance and retirement benefits in reduction-in-force.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of an HMO in a case involving allegations of breach of insurance agreement and bad faith for denying a portion of the plaintiff’s out-of-network medical care and treatment.Represented a trustee in state court bench trial involving various claims against trustee for breach of fiduciary duty. Successfully obtained judgment in favor of the trustee.
- Represented a national employment services company in an employment arbitration involving claims of wrongful termination based on race/national origin discrimination and violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Successfully obtained judgment for the employer on each cause of action.
- Represented a title insurance company in a state court trial involving bad faith and breach of contract claims by an insured. Successfully obtained judgment in favor of the title insurance company on all claims.
- Represented large Oklahoma City-based grocery store in intellectual property trademark dispute with California-based nationwide distributor. Obtained partial summary judgment against distributor prior to settlement and obtained consent decree prohibiting California distributor from any further use of client’s trademark.
- Represented a farming/ranching operator in a complex groundwater permit hearing before the Oklahoma Water Resources Board.
- Represented a car dealership in a wrongful termination suit brought by a former employee. Obtained summary judgment, affirmed by Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, in favor of employer.
- Represented preferred provider organization (PPO) in an arbitration against third-party payor involving breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference, business disparagement and negligent misrepresentation.
- Obtained summary judgment for an Oklahoma energy company in a multiple-party federal court dispute involving claims of breach of drilling contract and oil and gas lien foreclosures.
- Obtained summary judgment for a Texas oil company in an operating agreement dispute over liability for drilling costs.
- Obtained summary judgment for energy client in dispute between natural gas companies involving sale of leases worth $13 million dollars.
- Obtained declaratory judgment for a realestate developer in a federal court matter involving water rights. In same case, successfully appealed to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals an attempt by a rural water district to remove a pending action to federal court.
- Obtained summary judgment for an Oklahoma healthcare entity in a tortious interference claim brought by a former physician.
- Represent water rights applicants and permit holders in filing permits, amending permits, and defending streamwater and groundwater applications in front of the Oklahoma Water Resources Board.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (labor and employment litigation)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Honored with the Oklahoma CASA Association, Inc.’s Attorney of the Year Award for her work with Oklahoma Lawyers for Children (2014)
- Named to okc.BIZ’s Forty Under 40 list “honoring exceptional individuals who have made a significant contribution to shaping the Oklahoma City landscape” (2011)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Board of Directors; Delegate, Oklahoma Bar Association House of Delegates; Chair, 2013 Law Day Committee)
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Leadership Oklahoma City - LOYAL Class VI
- Phi Beta Kappa, Oklahoma Chapter (President, 2012-2013)
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, North Texas and Oklahoma Chapter (Board of Trustees)
- Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City Fundraising Team)
Waters and Water Rights (Oklahoma)
Tenth Circuit dismisses FMLA claim by employee who was fired while on FMLA leave
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter | June 2012
Gavel to Gavel: Guidelines for wellness programs
The Journal Record | August 4, 2011
Supreme Court to rule on privacy case involving use of company-issued phones
The Oklahoman | May 18, 2010
Background checks: Credit checks and applicants, what you need to know
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter | September 2009
In The News
Super Lawyers Magazine – Oklahoma 2017 | October 2017
The Oklahoman | September 21, 2017
August 15, 2017
March 24, 2017
January 2, 2015
Briefcase | April 2014
Lauren Hanna honored as Oklahoma CASA Association’s 2014 ‘Attorney of the Year’
April 14, 2014
‘Government Gone Wild’ seminar draws record numbers
April 29, 2013
New law gives state's employers greater options in drug testing
The Oklahoman | May 18, 2011
High court to decide privacy case involving company-issued phones
The Oklahoman | May 19, 2010