Legislative and Regulatory Update: Some Things to Look Forward to in 2013
Oklahoma Bar Association Government and Administrative Law Practice Section CLE Seminar
Labor and Employment attorneys Sam Fulkerson and Nathan Whatley are featured speakers at the Oklahoma Bar Association Government and Administrative Law Practice Section’s continuing legal education seminar presented on December 14, 2012, at the Oklahoma History Center.
In their presentation titled “Legislative and Regulatory Update: Some Things to Look Forward to in 2013,” Sam and Nathan discuss and offer analysis on state and federal legislation, court decisions, and agency regulations affecting the workplace, including:
- Senate Bill 1773 – Oklahoma’s Open Carry Bill that went into effect November 1, 2012.
- Vance v. Ball State University – U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding the scope of the “supervisor” liability rule under Title VII.
- Christopher v. SmithKline Beecham Corp. – U.S. Supreme Court decision involving alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act for failure to pay overtime.
- Mauerhan v. Wagner Corp. and EEOC v. C.R. England, Inc. –Tenth Circuit rulings involving alleged violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Helm v. Kansas – Tenth Circuit ruling involving a vicarious liability claim of sexual harassment filed against the State of Kanas for the alleged harassing actions of one of its state judges.
- EEOC regulations boosting age bias claims
- EEOC guidance on criminal background screening