Mike LaBrie has concentrated his practice in all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent, trademark and copyright law and related litigation throughout his entire legal career. He currently serves on McAfee & Taft’s board of directors and as leader of the firm’s Biotech Industry Group, and has previously served as leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
Mike is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and has represented and counseled clients in patent matters involving preparing and prosecuting applications; portfolio management, acquisition and divestiture; licensing transactions; freedom to operate studies; infringement analysis; validity studies; opinions; interference proceedings; and litigation and other dispute resolution, all on an international basis. He has filed patent applications in virtually every country in the world.
His trademark practice is international as well and includes searching, clearing and acquiring trademark registrations; portfolio management; opinions; litigation; TTAB proceedings; and other dispute resolution. He is also very experienced in negotiating and drafting various intellectual property agreements including software, technology and joint development agreements.
Mike serves as chief intellectual property counsel for numerous public and private companies. He has also worked with numerous start-up companies by counseling them in intellectual property matters, assisting them with obtaining funding and providing contacts.
He is a contributing author of State Trademark and Unfair Competition Law and has presented papers and spoken on various intellectual property topics at continuing legal education seminars. His achievements have earned him inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; patent law; patent litigation; trademark law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers (“Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers”). He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Patent Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, “Oklahoma City Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2014 and 2016, “Oklahoma City Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, and “Oklahoma City Patent Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2017, honors only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each market. He has been recognized for his professional and civic contributions as a 2010 recipient of the The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award.
Active in the state’s legal and business communities, Mike has served on the board of directors and as president of the Intellectual Property Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association; serves as secretary of the board of directors of i2E, Inc., a non-profit for the commercialization of technology; and serves on the board of directors and has served as chairman of the Oklahoma Venture Forum. He is also a member of American Intellectual Property Law Association, International Trademark Association, the Association of University Technology Managers and other intellectual property organizations.
Mike holds a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and worked as an engineer for an oil field services company prior to entering law school.
- Patent, trademark, software, database and technology licensing transactions.
- U.S. and foreign trademark clearance, usage, protection and defense.
- U.S. and foreign patent prosecution
- Intellectual property conflicts before federal courts and administrative bodies, including the Trademark Trial and Appeal board and the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
- Patent freedom to operate, infringement and design-around studies.
- Representing buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions involving intellectual property.
- Counseling experience includes many industries: mechanical, chemical, software, computers, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, oil and gas, medical and food industries.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; patent law; patent litigation; trademark law)
- Named “Oklahoma City Patent Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, “Oklahoma City Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2014 and 2016, “Oklahoma City Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, and “Oklahoma City Patent Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2017 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Top 50 Lawyers”
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award, recognizing legal professionals for their professional and civic contributions to the state (2010)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Former Director and President, Intellectual Property Law Section)
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Oklahoma Society of Professional Engineers
- The Association of University Technology Managers
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- i2E, Inc (Secretary, Board of Directors)
- Oklahoma Venture Forum (Director; Former Chairman)
- Christmas in April of Cleveland County, Inc. (Former President; Founding Member, Board of Directors)
- Norman Planning Commission (Former Chairman and Commissioner)
- University of Central Oklahoma Entrepreneurship Program (Advisory Board)
In The News
August 15, 2016
May 27, 2016
The Journal Record | August 26, 2015
August 24, 2015
Patent attorneys Mike LaBrie and Matt Gibson interviewed on likely impact of proposed Patent Reform Act of 2011The Journal Record | May 24, 2011
The Journal Record | October 27, 2009