Peter Van Dyke is a veteran attorney who represents management exclusively in all aspects of labor and employment law, including the defense of employment lawsuits; National Labor Relations Board proceedings; union avoidance campaigns; wage and hour issues; Americans with Disabilities Act issues; labor arbitrations; labor negotiations; drafting and reviewing employment policies, handbooks and manuals; consultation and advice; and management training on employment issues.
For more than 35 years, much of his practice has been devoted to effectively dealing with labor unions on behalf of management clients. His notable work includes serving as lead negotiator for a major military contractor in labor negotiations that ended a high-profile two-week strike by the civilian workforce at a U.S. Air Force base. He has also counseled employers on timely labor initiatives and union organizing activities and provided training on effective union avoidance strategies.
In addition to being a featured speaker and author on labor and employment topics, Pete is also a frequent lecturer for continuing legal education programs and serves as an adjunct professor at the Oklahoma City University School of Law.
Pete is a director of the Oklahoma Labor Management Conference, a volunteer arbitrator for the Better Business Bureau, and a volunteer mediator for the Oklahoma County District Court. He also currently serves as an administrative law judge for the Oklahoma Department of Labor.
His achievements have earned him recognition and inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (employment law–management, labor law–management, labor and employment litigation), Oklahoma Super Lawyers, Who’s Who in American Law and the Labor Relation Institute’s list of “Top One Hundred Labor Attorneys in the United States.” He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year” in 2011, “Oklahoma City Labor Law (Management) Lawyer of the Year” in 2012 and “Oklahoma City Labor and Employment Litigation Lawyer of the Year” in 2013, honors given only to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft in 1998, Pete was a member of the Oklahoma City law firm of Lytle Soulé & Curlee for 25 years. His career experience also includes serving as U.S. Army captain in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps for four years.
- Nationwide defense of employment litigation and arbitration matters.
- Representation of employers before the EEOC and various state human rights agencies.
- Representation of employers in wage and hour and FMLA investigations by U.S. Department of Labor.
- Representation of employers in state wage and hour and unemployment claims.
- Representation of employers before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Representation of mine operators before the Mine Safety and Health Administration.
- Representation of employers before the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Representation of employers in numerous labor arbitrations.
- Representation of employers in collective bargaining.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employment law – management; labor law – management; labor and employment litigation)
- Named “Oklahoma City Labor and Employment Lawyers of the Year” for 2011, “Oklahoma City Labor Law (Management) Lawyer of the Year” for 2012, and “Oklahoma City Labor and Employment Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
- Named to the Labor Relations Institute’s list of “Top One Hundred Labor Attorneys in the United States”
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar (Association (Fee Grievance Committee)
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Former Chair, Labor & Employment Section; Alternative Disputes Section)
Oklahoma Supreme Court increases employer lawsuit exposure
In The News
August 15, 2017
Chambers USA 2017 honors McAfee & Taft as top-ranked firm, 39 McAfee & Taft attorneys as leading lawyers for businessMay 26, 2017
May 27, 2016