As a former trademark examining attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Rachel Blue brings extensive experience and insider knowledge to her practice in intellectual property law as well as franchise law, entertainment law and unfair competition matters.
In addition to serving as leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group, Rachel’s intellectual property practice primarily focuses on trademark clearance and prosecution (searches, opinion letters, filing, prosecution, appeals and maintenance of applications and registrations), opposition and cancellation proceedings, and enforcement. She also handles licensing of all types of intellectual property, coexistence and consent agreements, copyright prosecution and filing, and litigation of trade secrets, trademarks and copyrights. Her franchise practice consists of preparation and review of disclosure documents and franchise agreements, registration of franchises, and counseling for both franchisees and franchisors.
As part of her practice, Rachel works with a wide network of international associates and acts as U.S. counsel for lawyers and clients in Canada, the United Kingdom, Brazil and Korea on intellectual property matters.
Rachel’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law, intellectual property litigation, trademark law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers, where she has been named to its list of “Top 25 Women Lawyers” and "Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers." She was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Tulsa Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2016, and “Tulsa Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2015 and “Tulsa Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2015 and 2016, honors given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community. Chambers USA shortlisted her for its 2012 “Women in Law” awards, recognizing her as a finalist for the “Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year” award.
Rachel has been rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings, a certification mark signifying that her peers rank her at the highest level of professional excellence.
Rachel is a graduate of the University of Tulsa College of Law. Immediately following law school, she went to work for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in Washington D.C. where she was responsible for handling trademark applications and served on a special detail to the Assistant Commissioner for Trademarks. Upon returning to Oklahoma in 1995, Rachel established a substantial portfolio of large institutional clients, growing businesses, and individual entrepreneurs while in private practice.
Rachel is a frequent author on intellectual property matters and other topics, including adoption issues. She and her husband are adoption advocates and often speak on the topic.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Shortlisted by Chambers USA for its 2012 “Women in Law” awards, recognizing her as a finalist for the Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year award
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; trademark law)
- Named “Tulsa Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2016, “Tulsa Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, and “Tulsa Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2015 and 2016 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ lists of “Top 25 Women Lawyers” and “Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers”
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Inducted into the University of Tulsa College of Law Hall of Fame (2017)
- Honored with the University of Tulsa College of Law’s W. Thomas Coffman Award for Community Service (2017)
- Named to the Tulsa Business & Legal News’ 2103 class of Power Attorneys and Legal Professionals
- Honored with The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award, recognizing legal professionals for their professional and civic contributions to the state (2010)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Past President, Intellectual Property Section; Member, Committee on Law Schools)
- Missouri Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Intellectual Property Section; Franchising Committee; Visual Arts and Dramatic Works Committee)
- International Trademark Association
- International Franchise Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Tulsa Day Center for the Homeless (Vice President, Board of Directors)
- Tulsa Street School (Board of Advocates)
- University of Tulsa College of Law (Dean’s Advisory Board)
- University of Tulsa College of Law Alumni Association (Past President)
- Tulsa United Way (Women’s Leadership Council)
- Catholic Charities (Volunteer)
The spy who came in from the kitchen…
EmployerLINC | February 4, 2015
For goodness sake!
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet | August 2014
Gavel to Gavel: It all ads up
The Journal Record | January 2, 2014
Short attention spans
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet Intellectual Property Newsletter | June 2013
Check before you pin
The Journal Record | April 17, 2013
Is your trade secret safe with me?
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet | March 2013
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet | August 2012
Gavel to Gavel: Easy paths to profit loss
The Journal Record | August 9, 2012
Gavel to Gavel: Control Freaks
The Journal Record | April 14, 2011
Got to be real
The Journal Record | February 11, 2010
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet Intellectual Property Newsletter | February 1, 2010
Name calling: Using someone else’s trademark
The Journal Record | November 12, 2009
CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION - Losing more than just an employee
Oklahoma Employment Law Letter | May 1, 2009
When a picture's worth a thousand...dollars
McAfee & Taft tIPsheet Intellectual Property Newsletter | April 1, 2009
In The News
May 16, 2017
March 30, 2017
The Oklahoman | November 30, 2016
May 27, 2016
The Oklahoman | March 15, 2016
August 24, 2015
Ads promoting charity donations fall under local, federal rules
The Oklahoman | July 22, 2014
A Woman in a Room Full of Men
Super Lawyers Magazine - Oklahoma Edition | October 2013
Blue among honorees for 2013 Power Attorneys & Legal Professionals
Tulsa, OK | May 17, 2013