Reid E. Robison is a veteran trial lawyer whose practice is concentrated in business-related litigation, including antitrust, securities, products liability, tax, white collar criminal cases, contract and insurance disputes and multi-district and other complex litigation in courts throughout the United States.
As part of his appellate practice, Reid has appeared and argued cases in Oklahoma and Delaware and before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Eighth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits. He also was involved in a successful appeal in the Supreme Court of Virginia.
His skills as a litigator have earned him inclusion in several prestigious industry publications, including Benchmark Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America (antitrust litigation; appellate practice; bet-the-company litigation; commercial litigation; environmental litigation; legal malpractice law–defendants; mass tort/class actions–defendants; product liability litigation–defendants; qui tam law; securities litigation; tax litigation and controversy), Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. He has been perennially listed in all three publications since their inaugural editions and was named to Super Lawyers’ prestigious list of “Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers” from 2008 to 2013. He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Appellate Practice Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, an honor only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community.
Reid was selected as a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society dedicated to promoting superior advocacy, professionalism and ethical standards among its fellows. He is also a fellow and state chairman of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, an organization whose membership in the United States is limited to 500 active trial lawyers.
Following graduation from law school, Reid served as an assistant attorney general of the state of Oklahoma and as a captain in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps of the U.S. Air Force.
- Successfully defended a former public laboratory chief executive officer charged with participating in alleged criminal conspiracies to commit Medicare fraud and securities fraud. In the former count, the government brought what is believed to be the first federal prosecution of laboratory executives for alleged violations of the anti-kickback law. The client was acquitted on both counts after a three-week trial.
- Successfully defended a Canadian company challenged by the state as unauthorized to own land in Oklahoma. Obtained an injunction against the Attorney General of Oklahoma, preventing an attempt to escheat the land.
- Acted as lead counsel in the first case to define “tender offer” under the Federal Securities Laws.
- Acted as lead counsel in the successful appeal of a case in which the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit established the scienter pleading standard under the Federal Securities Laws.
- Served as lead counsel in an antitrust case brought by a grocery wholesaler against manufacturers which were accused of conspiring to prevent competition from entering the market.
- Defeated an attempt by the State Insurance Department to appoint a receiver for an insolvent insurer.
- Served as lead defense counsel in federal grand jury investigations and criminal cases involving business issues, including antitrust and tax matters.
- Represented clients in qui tam matters brought by private citizens, as well as governmental agencies including the Department of Justice, alleging false claims.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of a ladder manufacturer in a case involving allegations of defective design resulting in a double fatality electrocution.
- Obtained summary judgment in the Western District of Oklahoma in favor of a table saw manufacturer in a case involving allegations of defect resulting in serious hand injuries.
- Obtained summary judgment in the Western District of Oklahoma in favor of a ladder manufacturer accused of defective product labeling.
- Negotiated favorable settlements on behalf of a natural gas valve manufacturer in cases involving allegations of serious personal injury resulting from fires and massive explosions.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court in New Castle County, Delaware, in favor of a manufacturer of home products in a personal injury lawsuit. Judgment affirmed on appeal before the Supreme Court of Delaware.
- Prior to a global settlement being reached, defended a leading pharmaceutical company against claims that one of its prescription drugs caused heart valve problems.
- Obtained reversal of adverse jury verdict of $700,000 in actual and punitive damages on post-trial motion for judgment as a matter of law on behalf of a major insurance company accused of bad faith in handling an uninsured motorist claim. Decision affirmed upon appeal to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named a local “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (antitrust litigation; bet-the-company litigation; commercial litigation; environmental litigation; legal malpractice law – defendants; qui tam law; securities litigation; tax litigation and controversy)
- Named “Oklahoma City Appellate Practice Lawyer of the Year” in 2013 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Top 50 Lawyers”
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with the Oklahoma County Bar Association’s OCBA’s Bobby G. Knapp Leadership Award (2015)
- Honored with the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Neil E. Bogan Professionalism Award (2013)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Past President)
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Luther Bohanon American Inn of Court (Master Emeritus; Past President)
- Oklahoma Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers (Fellow and State Chairman)
In The News
November 2, 2015
June 15, 2015
November 14, 2013
The Oklahoman | February 29, 2008
The Journal Record | September 21, 2006
Robison interviewed on successful defense of former executive on violation of federal kickback and securities lawsThe Dark Report | July 24, 2006