Tim Bomhoff maintains one of the most active energy litigation practices in the state. His clients include energy and oil & gas companies of all sizes, including small and mid-sized independent companies as well as Fortune 500 corporations and their subsidiaries in state and federal courts, appellate courts, arbitrations and mediations.
In addition to handling complex commercial litigation at the state and federal levels, Tim routinely litigates energy industry disputes involving leases, breaches of contract, class actions, royalty payments, environmental and surface damages, joint operating agreements, gas contracts, farmouts, drilling contracts, personal injury and products liability.
Tim’s extensive career experience also includes defense of mass torts and negligence claims, as well as the representation of companies in environmental litigation, including class actions.
Tim currently serves on McAfee & Taft’s board of directors and has previously served as co-leader of the firm’s Energy and Oil & Gas Group.
Tim’s achievements as a litigator have earned him inclusion in Benchmark Litigation, Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (energy & natural resources), The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation; employment law – management; energy law; environmental litigation; labor and employment litigation; labor law – management; mass tort litigation/class actions – defendants; oil and gas law; product liability litigation – defendants; securities litigation; qui tam law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers, where he has been named to its list of “Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers.” He was named by Best Lawyers as “Oklahoma City Mass Tort/Class Actions Defense Lawyer of the Year” for 2012, “Oklahoma City Environmental Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2016, “Oklahoma City Energy Lawyer of the Year” for 2017, and “Oklahoma City Product Liability Litigation Defense Lawyer of the Year” for 2018, honors only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each market.
Tim has also been selected as a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society dedicated to promoting superior advocacy, professionalism and ethical standards among its fellows.
- Obtained dismissal in federal court of putative bilateral class action in which plaintiff landowners sought monetary damages and the invalidation of all oil and gas leases held by energy companies in the nation’s second-highest producing county.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company in a lawsuit alleging violation of the Oklahoma Production Revenue Standards Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company in a preferential rights claim on the defense of laches.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of two exploration and production companies in a quiet title, lease cancellation, trespass and conversion case involving a section of land in Canadian County, Oklahoma.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for two subsidiaries of a Fortune 500 company in a lawsuit alleging surface damages, nuisance and trespass.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a Fortune 500 company‘s subsidiary in a quiet title/adverse possession dispute in Coal County, Oklahoma, involving mineral rights owned by the client.
- Obtained dismissal of client as a defendant in a lawsuit alleging liability for indemnification and contribution for cleanup of an abandoned bulk oil station and above-ground storage tank system.
- Successfully represented a Fortune 500 company in a declaratory judgment action seeking to determine the rights and obligations of the parties under an Environmental Indemnification Agreement concerning two Superfund sites.
- Obtained summary judgment for oil and gas company in federal putative class action where plaintiffs alleged violations of Sections 11, 12(a)(2), and 15 of the Securities Act of 1933, because a registration statement for an offering was alleged to be materially false and misleading. Affirmed by Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained dismissal for oil and gas operating companies following removal under the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 (CAFA) to federal court in a putative class action where the plaintiffs alleged tort claims relating to the alleged release of toxic substances from disposal facilities. Judgment affirmed on appeal to the Tenth Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal of a publicly traded oil & gas exploration and production company in a quiet title lease cancellation for a non-commercial production case in which the plaintiff asserts a claim for slander of title and seeks actual and punitive damages.
- Currently defending major oil and gas exploration and production corporation in a purported statewide class action in which plaintiffs allege oil and gas operators failed to pay for the use of bar ditches to lay temporary water lines.
- Currently defending several publicly traded independent oil and natural gas companies against claims for quiet title, lease cancellation, failure to pay revenues and production, accounting fraud, and fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Currently defending a subsidiary of one of the world’s largest independent oil and natural gas exploration and production companies in an action where plaintiffs are claiming damages under the Oklahoma Production Revenue Standards Act as well as claims for breach of the reasonably prudent operator standards.
- Currently defending a major exploration company in a quiet title action involving the interpretation of a private election letter.
- Currently defending a Fortune 500 company in a federal putative class action case alleging environmental contamination in Blackwell, Oklahoma.
- Currently representing a subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company in a CERCLA (Superfund) contribution lawsuit.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation; employment law – management; energy law; environmental litigation; labor and employment litigation; labor law – management; mass tort litigation/class actions – defendants; oil and gas law; product liability litigation – defendants; securities litigation; qui tam law)
- Named “Oklahoma City Mass Tort/Class Actions Defense Lawyer of the Year” for 2012, “Oklahoma City Environmental Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2016, “Oklahoma City Energy Lawyer of the Year” for 2017, and “Oklahoma City Product Liability Litigation Defense Lawyer of the Year” for 2018 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers”
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Board of Directors)
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- Federal Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma (Local Rules Committee)
- Robert J. Turner American Inn of Court (Master)
- Litigation Counsel of America (Fellow)
- Oklahoma City Mineral Lawyers Society
In The News
August 15, 2017
Chambers USA 2017 honors McAfee & Taft as top-ranked firm, 39 McAfee & Taft attorneys as leading lawyers for businessMay 26, 2017
October 19, 2016
August 15, 2016
May 27, 2016
January 27, 2016