2019 Downtown OKC Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge
For the second consecutive year, McAfee & Taft teamed up with The Journal Record to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and raise money for a great cause by hosting the Downtown Oklahoma City Chocolate Chip Cookie Contest. This year’s event, which was held on August 2 in the atrium of Leadership Square, raised nearly $3,000 in donations and matching funds in support of the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma. According to Austin Prickett, marketing manager for the Regional Food Bank, the fundraiser will provide 11,848 meals for children in the Food Bank’s Food for Kids programs.
This year, two sets of judges had their say in whose cookies were the best in downtown OKC – a duo of professional judges and the cookie-loving public. First, Shelby Sieg, executive chef at The Pritchard, and Cookie Tour Blogger Bailey Gordon (also last year’s winner) evaluated every entry on taste, texture and appearance. Then, for a donation to the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, cookie aficionados (a.k.a. “People’s Choice judges) could try as many as they liked and vote for their favorite.
2019 Judges’ Choice Winners
- 1st Place – Kim Caldwell (Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt)
- 2nd Place – Anna Bookout (Earl Grey Chocolate Chip)
- 3rd Place – Kayla Garland, age 10 (ChocOlots)
- Most Instagram-worthy – Darcy Henry (Classic Chocolate Chip)
- Best Use of Caramel or Toffee – Beverley Williamson (Chocolate Chip with Caramel & Sea Salt)
- Best Double Duty – Dan Corder (Ground Floor Café “Crack” Cookies)
2019 People’s Choice Winners
- 1st Place – Suzanne Cooke (Classic Chocolate Chip)
- 2nd Place – Beverley Williamson (Chocolate Chip with Caramel & Sea Salt)
- 3rd Place – Janna Harper (Janna’s Sweets – Ghee/Unsalted Butter)
Special thanks to Molly Fleming, Robinson Park, Urban Agrarian and Marak Family Farm, Shelby Sieg, and Bailey Gordon for making this fundraiser such a success!
To learn more about the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma’s Food for Kids programs or to donate, click here.