Alex Riley is a trial lawyer whose state and federal litigation practice is concentrated in the areas of products liability defense, asbestos litigation, mass torts litigation, premises liability, professional negligence, insurance defense, and other complex business litigation. His clients include medical providers, small and large business, Fortune 500 companies, and leading manufacturers of consumer and commercial products, including major automakers and suppliers.
The Missouri native has trial experience defending medical providers and other businesses against claims of personal injury, wrongful death, and negligence in high-stakes multimillion-dollar lawsuits. Alex also has appellate court experience and has successfully defended trial verdicts and other court rulings favorable to his clients numerous times in the courts of appeals.
Prior to entering law school, Alex gained valuable career experience working as a paralegal for a boutique litigation firm in Springfield, MO. After earning his Juris Doctor, he worked as an attorney at another Springfield-based law firm until joining McAfee & Taft in 2019.Download Bio (PDF)
- Obtained a dismissal of a products liability and breach of warranty case filed against a vehicle manufacturer pending in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, involving a vehicle which allegedly caught fire.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial in Greene County, Missouri, for a cardiothoracic surgeon in a medical malpractice case involving a foreign instrument intentionally left in a patient following surgery.
- Successfully defended on appeal a defense verdict in favor of a medical provider in a wrongful death case in which plaintiffs alleged an OB/GYN’s negligence caused three miscarriages. Plaintiffs argued the trial court improperly allowed defendants to submit evidence showing the miscarriages were due to chromosomal abnormalities and not any negligence on the part of defendants. The Missouri Court of Appeals, Southern District, affirmed the trial court’s ruling admitting the evidence at trial and recognized the trial court did not err in so doing.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial in Jasper County, Missouri, for a cardiologist in a wrongful death case in which plaintiff alleged the cardiologist should have cared for the decedent in a different manner.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial in Clay County, Missouri, for an OB/GYN in a medical malpractice case involving birth complications in which the baby experienced a shoulder dystocia during delivery and sustained a permanent brachial plexus palsy injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial in Clay County, Missouri, for an OB/GYN in a wrongful death case involving the death of a baby in which the baby aspirated meconium during delivery and died shortly thereafter.
- Successfully defended on appeal a defense verdict in favor of a medical provider in a nursing negligence case in which plaintiff argued the trial court improperly failed to give to the jury a modified jury instruction on the issue of medical negligence. The Arkansas Court of Appeals affirmed the trial court’s ruling and held there was no error in the trial court’s refusal to give plaintiff’s proffered instruction.
- Successfully defended on appeal a trial court judgment obtained in favor of a Missouri county which recognized that the county could not be held liable for a vehicle accident between two other parties that occurred on a road going up a hill because this road was not a dangerous condition. The Missouri Court of Appeals, Southern District, affirmed the trial court’s ruling.
- Obtained a favorable verdict at trial in Greene County, Missouri, for a large trucking company in a case in which liability was undisputed but in which plaintiff sought a multimillion-dollar verdict for damages. The jury returned a verdict for far less than that which plaintiff requested.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Candidate for Missouri State Representative – 134th District
- The Network – The Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce’s Young Professionals Organization