Andrew Morris is a trial and appellate lawyer and former federal law clerk whose practice is focused on general civil litigation, including complex commercial litigation and appeals at the state and federal levels. He also assists clients in defending against class. Andrew’s practice spans multiple industries, with a special emphasis on insurance, finance and banking, and healthcare. His insurance litigation experience includes defending national insurers against claims for bad faith, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, alleged violations of the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act, fraud, and negligence, as well as coverage disputes arising under life, credit disability, and property insurance policies.
From 2018 to 2020, Andrew served as a law clerk to the Honorable Scott L. Palk, district judge in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma, and is particularly regarded for his knowledge and ability to navigate the complexities of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the Class Action Fairness Act.
Andrew is a graduate of the American Board of Trial Advocates’ 2016 National Trial Academy. His achievements have earned him inclusion in Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys. In 2017, he was recognized as the “Attorney of the Year” by the Central Oklahoma Association of Legal Assistants for his ongoing efforts in supporting the paralegal profession.
In addition to his private practice, Andrew coaches the University of Oklahoma College of Law’s student teams that participate in the Federal Bar Association’s annual Thurgood Marshall Memorial Moot Court Competition. In 2019, his team beat out 39 other teams to win the national championship in Washington, D.C.
Prior to entering law school, Andrew worked for the Tulsa Community Foundation.Download Bio (PDF)
- Served as second chair at trial of employer-employee dispute resulting in jury verdict for client after obtaining partial summary judgment, including argument of substantive motions and presentation of witnesses at pre-trial hearing resulting in sanctions of opposing party for evidentiary spoliation and post-trial award of attorneys’ fees.
- Served as primary brief drafter in appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit relating to subject-matter jurisdiction conferred by the Class Action Fairness Act in case of first impression for the Tenth Circuit.
- Successfully tried case as second chair to unanimous jury verdict in federal court for national insurer in a multi-day jury trial over alleged breach of a commercial-building insurance policy where the plaintiff claimed more than a half-million dollars in damages. Prior to jury trial, obtained summary judgment and dismissal of additional claim of bad faith against insurer. Following successful trial result, obtained settlement with plaintiff for a significant portion of the insurer’s incurred attorneys’ fees and costs to resolve insurer’s pending post-trial motions and to resolve plaintiff’s appeal to the Tenth Circuit in insurer’s favor.
- Obtained favorable result for hospital in the appeal of a directed verdict granted in favor of hospital during jury trial in state court on a tortious interference of a contract claim related to billing practices.
- Obtained dismissal of bad faith claim against national insurer at motion-to-dismiss stage, resulting in favorable settlement of stand-alone contract claim.
- Successfully represented a regional mining company in the opposing party’s attempt to vacate a $27 million judgment, resulting in the client’s judgment being upheld in all respects.
- Obtained favorable settlement for financial company in a state court putative class action where plaintiff alleged invasion of privacy claims over usage of GPS technology.
- Second-chaired a five-day trial of an interpleader action related to a $2 million deposit in an aircraft sale transaction.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s up-and-coming attorneys
- Honored as “Attorney of the Year” by the Central Oklahoma Association of Legal Assistants (2017)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association (Board of Directors, Oklahoma City Chapter)
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence (Board of Trustees)
- Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma (Leadership Council, Class III)