Tony Rahhal is a registered patent attorney whose practice encompasses all areas of intellectual property law, including patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret law, Internet law and related areas. He has been registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office since 1993. He has previously served as leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
Tony’s patent practice includes the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, preparation and prosecution of re-examination proceedings, preparation of infringement and validity opinions, patent infringement litigation, patent licensing, and auditing of patent portfolios. Tony’s practice is international in scope, and he has established relationships with associates in a number of foreign countries.
Tony’s trademark practice, which is also global in scope, encompasses all areas of trademark law and includes the searching and clearance of marks, preparation and prosecution of applications, management of trademark assets, licensing transactions, and practice before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in opposition, cancellation and concurrent use proceedings.
As part of his day-to-day practice, Tony serves as intellectual property counsel for a number of different companies and has extensive experience drafting and negotiating a variety of intellectual property agreements.
Tony’s achievements have earned him inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; patent law; patent litigation; trade secrets law; trademark law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Patent Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2019, “Oklahoma City Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2016, and “Oklahoma City Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2017, honors given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each market.
In addition to having previously served as president of the Intellectual Property Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association, he is an adjunct professor of patent law at the University of Oklahoma and a member of the Oklahoma County Bar Association, Oklahoma Bar Association, American Bar Association and International Trademark Association.
Tony received a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Oklahoma State University and a Juris Doctor, with highest honors, from the University of Oklahoma College of Law. Prior to entering law school, he worked as an engineer for Rockwell International at its Tulsa, Oklahoma, facility from 1984 to 1988.Download Bio (PDF)
- U.S. and foreign patent preparation and prosecution for complex mechanical inventions and other technologies in a wide range of industries.
- Representation of clients in proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representation of clients in proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representation of clients in intellectual property conflicts in federal court.
- Representation of licensors and licensees in patent, trademark and copyright matters, including the drafting and negotiation of contracts.
- Representation of parties in intellectual property acquisitions.
- Day-to-day counseling of public and private companies engaged in a number of industries, including mechanical, agricultural, oil and gas, medical, and food.
- Representation of companies and individuals in patent, trademark and copyright litigation.
- Patent non-infringement and validity studies and opinions.
- Counseled and represented client with respect to a data breach, including:
- Reviewing and analyzing all 50 States’ data breach notification requirements to state agencies
- Reviewing and analyzing all 50 States’ data breach notification requirements to consumers
- Undertaking notification of a data breach to various State agencies across the United States, including conferencing with Attorney General Office in the respective states
- Undertaking notification of a data breach to consumers throughout the United States
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; patent law; patent litigation; trade secrets law; trademark law)
- Named “Oklahoma City Patent Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2019, “Oklahoma City Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2016, and “Oklahoma City Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2017 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Past President and Director, Intellectual Property Section)
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association