Barrett Knudsen represents business aviation and commercial aviation clients in a broad range of transactional and regulatory matters involving the buying, selling, leasing, financing and registration of aircraft. His clients include corporate as well as individual owners of aircraft, commercial airlines, manufacturers in the aerospace industry, leasing companies, banks and financial institutions, fractional ownership companies and other law firms. His practice is focused on transactional matters that fall under the purview of the Federal Transportation Code, FAA Civil Aircraft Registry, Cape Town Convention and International Registry, as well as regulatory issues relating to the operation of aircraft under Part 91 and Subpart K of the FAA Regulations.
Barrett began his legal career in 1998 as a corporate attorney working in the areas of entity organization and business structuring, contract negotiations, corporate tax, mergers and acquisitions and estate planning. Since 2002, he has practiced exclusively in the field of aviation law with special emphasis on aircraft sales, leasing, financing and registration.
Outside of his practice, Barrett serves on the board of directors for Hope International Ministry, Inc.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represents individuals and businesses with the buying and selling of new and used private, corporate and commercial aircraft.
- Represents fractional interest companies and their co-owners in connection with registering aircraft and individual ownership interest with the FAA Aircraft Registry.
- Represents banks and other lenders in connection with financing and registration matters and the perfection of security and leasehold interests in aircraft, engines and propellers.
- Advises clients regarding regulatory compliance and alternative structures for transactions.
- Advises clients on ownership structures to comply with the citizenship requirements set forth in the FAA Transportation Code and other federal regulations.
- Advises clients on the applicability of the Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment and the Aircraft Protocol on aircraft transactions and the perfecting of interests with the International Registry.
- Examines FAA records to determine the status of record ownership, liens, encumbrances and other title issues.
- Acts as escrow agent of funds and documents for aircraft transactions.
- Assists both aircraft owners and lenders in securing aircraft title insurance policies.
Honors and Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Air and Space Law Forum)
- Association of Aircraft Title Lawyers
- National Business Aviation Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Hope International Ministry Inc. (Board of Directors)