Brett Merritt is a corporate lawyer whose practice encompasses a broad range of commercial and business matters, including real estate, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, corporate financing, corporate governance, securities, business formation, and partnerships.
Brett is the co-author of Oklahoma Limited Liability Company: Forms and Practice Manual, a two-volume practice manual containing forms and explanatory text and analysis for lawyers, accountants, tax specialists, estate planners, and real estate professionals.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represented the owners of more than 100 independently owned 7-Eleven convenience stores in Oklahoma in the sale of the companies’ membership interests to Texas-based 7-Eleven, Inc.
- Represented the developers of a flagship 21c Museum Hotel in Oklahoma City in all aspects of the implementation of a multi-level financing structure, including the preparation of federal and state historic tax credit financing, New Markets Tax Credits financing, tax increment financing, Section 108 HUD-guaranteed financing, and traditional financing, as well as the implementation of strategic public-private relationships with the Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust and the City of Oklahoma City. The complex transaction also included the negotiation and preparation of financing agreements, economic development agreements, a ground lease, master lease, and organizational documents.
- Represented the nation’s largest supplier of building materials for residential and commercial builders in reviewing, analyzing, abstracting and conducting other due diligence examinations on more than 450 leases and subleases across the nation.
- Represented an Oklahoma-based hospital group in the negotiation and acquisition of the partnership interests and substantially all of the assets of a Texas-based hospital pursuant to a Section 363 bankruptcy sale, including negotiation of a new $40 million credit facility to facilitate the acquisition.
- Represented The Oklahoma State Medical Association in the sale of 100% of the stock of PLICO, Inc., one of the premier healthcare liability insurers in the southwestern United States, to Berkshire Hathaway’s MedPro Group.
- Represented a regional hospital network in antirust analysis of potential physician practice acquisitions and development of a clinically integrated network.
- Representation of landlords and tenants in all aspects of commercial leasing transactions.
- Representation of clients in sales of unimproved and improved real property, including negotiation and documentation of purchase and sale agreements, title and survey due diligence, regulatory compliance, and land use issues.
- Assisted franchisors in handling state franchise registrations and other regulatory filings, in preparing and updating their Franchise Disclosure Document, and in providing counsel on various matters related to franchising law.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association