As a shareholder and member of McAfee & Taft’s Aviation Group, the largest group of FAA attorneys in the world, Brian Burget represents aircraft lenders, lessors, operators, purchasers and sellers in relation to commercial, corporate and regional aircraft. A substantial amount of his time is focused on advising clients on matters involving title, registration, buying, selling, leasing, operating and financing aircraft that fall under the purview of the Federal Transportation Code, Federal Aviation Administration Regulations, FAA Aircraft Registry, Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment and the Aircraft Protocol, and International Registry. This includes advising clients on FAR Part 91, Part 125 and Part 135 operations, as well as fractional ownership programs under 14 CFR Part 91(K).
Brian also devotes a substantial part of his practice to handling aircraft, helicopter and drone litigation matters. Specifically, he represents aircraft owners, lenders and potential buyers in disputes involving the perfection of ownership and security rights, chain of title issues, slander of title claims, quiet title claims on aircraft, and escrow interpleader actions. This also includes counseling owners, operators and pilots on regulatory compliance matters involving ownership, registration and operation of aircraft and assisting clients in responding to enforcement actions brought by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the Department of Transportation (DOT), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and other government agencies.
Brian also has extensive experience acting as an escrow agent for the escrow of funds for all types of transactions. Specializing in most anti-money laundering (AML) issues affecting clients, Brian’s work encompasses a full range of AML regulations and statutes, including compliance with the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (U.S.A. Patriot) Act of 2001, the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC), and other know your customer (KYC) regulations.
Brian’s achievements have earned him inclusion in Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys, as well as iON Oklahoma Online magazine’s list of Next Gen Under 30 honorees.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represent fractional owners concerning matters involving the transfer of title and release of liens placed on various aircraft involved in bankruptcy litigation.
- Represent aircraft owners in quiet title actions to clear disputed ownership and/or lien claims.
- Negotiate the release and termination of improper fuel liens placed on aircraft.
- Represent aircraft owners, operators and pilots before the FAA in response to FAA enforcement actions.
- Represent individuals and companies with the purchase and sale of corporate and commercial aircraft.
- Advise clients on ownership structures to comply with the citizenship requirements set forth in the FAA Transportation Code and attendant federal regulations, which includes structuring owner and voting trust agreements and LLC ownership to comply with the FAA requirements.
- Represent banks and other lenders in connection with financing aircraft and perfecting their interest of record with the FAA and International Registry.
- Assist corporations with preparation for and response to cybersecurity incidents.
- Act as escrow agent of funds and documents for various commercial transactions.
- Successfully resolved a chain of title dispute involving Grob G520 Egrett, ultimately resulting in timely registration with the FAA.
- Negotiated the return of pilot’s medical certificate following FAA enforcement action.
- FAA counsel for international corporations filing and working through bankruptcy under both Chapter 7 liquidation and Chapter 11 reorganization proceedings.
- Escrow agent for international escrow facilities for transactions involving the purchase and sale of aircraft, diamonds/gems, and other high- end consumer goods.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s up-and-coming attorneys
- Named to iON Oklahoma Online magazine’s list of Next Gen Under 30 honorees in recognition of his professional achievement, community involvement and commitment to Oklahoma’s future (2013)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Fortress Foundation (Board of Directors)
- Young Life of South Central Oklahoma (Committee Chair)
- Miss Oklahoma Organization (Volunteer)
- Oklahoma Children’s Miracle Network (Volunteer)