As a member of the firm’s Aviation Group, Brian Burget represents aircraft lenders, lessors, purchasers and sellers in relation to commercial, corporate and regional aircraft. A substantial amount of his time is focused on advising clients on matters involving title, registration, buying, selling, leasing, operating and financing aircraft that fall under the purview of the Federal Transportation Code, Federal Aviation Administration Regulations, FAA Aircraft Registry, Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment and the Aircraft Protocol, and International Registry. This includes advising clients on FAR Part 91 and Part 135 operations and fractional ownership programs.
Much of Brian’s practice involves advising clients on perfecting and recording documents with the FAA and assisting owners, lessors and lessees of aircraft who seek to register and protect their interests internationally under the Cape Town Treaty. Brian also devotes a substantial part of his practice to handling aircraft litigation matters and, specifically, the representation of aircraft owners in disputes involving the perfection of ownership rights, chain of title issues, slander of title claims, and the validity of liens placed on aircraft. He counsels owners and pilots on regulatory compliance matters involving ownership, registration and operation of aircraft and assists clients in responding to enforcement actions by the FAA and other government agencies.
Brian is also a member of the firm’s Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Group, representing clients facing complex cybersecurity, privacy and data challenges. Brian counsels corporations on privacy and security program management, cyber incident response, and surveillance and information sharing. His experience also includes working with major international companies to escrow funds and counsel on compliance with the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (U.S.A. Patriot) Act of 2001.
Brian’s achievements have earned him inclusion in Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represent fractional owners concerning matters involving the transfer of title and release of liens placed on various aircraft involved in bankruptcy litigation.
- Represent aircraft owners in quiet title actions to clear disputed ownership and/or lien claims.
- Negotiate the release and termination of improper fuel liens placed on aircraft.
- Represent aircraft owners, operators and pilots before the FAA in response to FAA enforcement actions.
- Represent individuals and companies with the purchase and sale of corporate and commercial aircraft.
- Advise clients on ownership structures to comply with the citizenship requirements set forth in the FAA Transportation Code and attendant federal regulations, which includes structuring owner and voting trust agreements and LLC ownership to comply with the FAA requirements.
- Represent banks and other lenders in connection with financing aircraft and perfecting their interest of record with the FAA and International Registry.
- Assist corporations with preparation for and response to cybersecurity incidents.
- Act as escrow agent of funds and documents for various commercial transactions.
- Successfully resolved a chain of title dispute involving Grob G520 Egrett, ultimately resulting in timely registration with the FAA.
- Negotiated the return of pilot’s medical certificate following FAA enforcement action.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s up-and-coming attorneys
- Named to iON Oklahoma Online magazine’s list of Next Gen Under 30 honorees in recognition of his professional achievement, community involvement and commitment to Oklahoma’s future (2013)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Fortress Foundation (Board of Directors)
- Miss Oklahoma Organization (Volunteer)
- Oklahoma Children’s Miracle Network (Volunteer)
- Young Life of Central Oklahoma (Volunteer)