Curtis Thomas is a trial lawyer whose practice focuses on business and commercial litigation before state and federal courts, arbitrations and administrative proceedings. He has handled a variety of cases — from litigation between the shareholders of a small business to defending companies of varying sizes in complex breach of contract and tort actions — and has litigated a broad range of insurance disputes, including claims related to homeowner’s insurance policies, general commercial liability policies, and claims-made policies. He also has experience defending and prosecuting bad faith claims.
A portion of Curtis’s practice is devoted to representing management exclusively in labor and employment matters. In addition to successfully defending employers in cases alleging violations of state and federal employment and labor laws, he has counseled employers concerning employee terminations and has worked with lead counsel to obtain summary judgment or other positive results in a number of employment discrimination cases.
Curtis’s achievements have earned him inclusion in Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.
Prior to attending law school, Curtis worked for two years for the Oklahoma Municipal League, a local nonprofit that advocates for the interests of cities and towns in Oklahoma, where he was primarily responsible for assisting the municipalities in understanding the various legal requirements with which they were required to comply. He also edited the League’s Handbook for City and Town Officials and spoke to various groups of municipal employees and elected officials on applicable laws such as the Open Meetings Act and Open Records Act as well as municipal elections and municipal finance.Download Bio (PDF)
- Assisted in drafting summary judgment motion in a breach of contract action which resulted in a favorable verdict for a large oil and gas client.
- Assisted in obtaining favorable settlement on behalf of large industrial client for damage to factory caused by independent contractor.
- Obtained judgment in favor of local pediatric practice against another party for its breach of contract and negligence concerning handling of patient records.
- Worked with lead counsel to obtain favorable settlement in a bad faith claim for large national insurance provider.
Labor and Employment
- Successfully represented one of the largest privately held providers of parking management services in its attempts to compel arbitration and stay a federal lawsuit filed by a former employee who asserted claims of race discrimination.
- Obtained dismissal of a federal civil rights suit filed against an Oklahoma municipality by former police chief.
- Successfully defended an Oklahoma municipality in an administrative appeal to district court concerning the termination of two city employees.
- Obtained summary judgment on former employee’s workers’ compensation retaliatory discharge claim.
- Assisted in drafting successful summary judgment motion on behalf of an employer as to former employee’s racial, gender and age discrimination claims.
- Conducted employee investigations including allegations of fraud, company theft and other employee misconduct.
- Advised multiple employers, including a high-profile non-profit organization, concerning employee termination issues.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys
- Honored with the Oklahoma County Bar Association’s Outstanding Young Lawyers Division Director Award (2014 and 2015)
- Honored with the Oklahoma County Bar Association’s President’s Professionalism Award (2015)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Chair, Law Day; Director, Young Lawyers Division)
- Oklahoma Bar Association