Elizabeth Carroll is an experienced lawyer who knows firsthand what it is like to be a client — minimizing risk and expenses, supporting the company’s financial and business objectives, and working with outside counsel and company management to achieve those goals. For more than a decade, she served as trusted counsel to a successful, privately owned oil and gas exploration and production company, where she counseled its owners and executive management team on a wide variety of matters, including providing comprehensive legal support in virtually every aspect of its operations and those of its related companies. In her current role as a litigator and business advisor, she leverages that wealth of experience, as well as the unique skills and talents she developed as a corporate insider, for the benefit of her clients. She is particularly regarded for her practical advice, her keen understanding of client concerns and needs, and her ability to help clients navigate complex issues in a straightforward and practical way.
Elizabeth’s broad-based legal practice encompasses the areas of complex business litigation, energy and natural resources law and litigation, and day-to-day counseling on a variety of corporate, operational, and transactional matters. She has extensive hands-on experience developing litigation strategies, managing large document-intensive cases, pursuing efficient resolutions through an aggressive motion practice, preparing client personnel and other witnesses for depositions and trial, and keeping clients informed of their options and risks at every stage of litigation.
A significant portion of Elizabeth’s practice is focused on the representation of clients in the energy industry, including oil and gas exploration and production companies, oilfield service companies, and storage, transportation and distribution companies. As a litigator, she represents clients in disputes involving royalty payments, leases, breach of contract, indemnities, seismicity/earthquakes, environmental and surface damages, personal injury, and products liability. As part of her transactional and counseling practice, Elizabeth negotiates and drafts a myriad of contracts and agreements, assists in conducting transactional due diligence, and advises clients on corporate governance, employment and corporate policies, regulatory compliance, and other operational matters.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft in 2021, Elizabeth served as deputy general counsel and chief compliance officer for Samson Energy Company and its affiliates, Schusterman Family Philanthropies, and Schusterman Family Investments. The Oklahoma native began her career as a litigation associate with a Tulsa-based law firm in 2005.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represented exploration and production company in surface use agreement dispute with landowner regarding allegations of contamination caused by contractor’s operations, resulting in complete summary judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented exploration and production company in landowner property damage allegations arising from extensive seismic shoot, resulting in successful settlement for the client.
- Represented exploration and production company in dispute regarding validity of overriding royalty claim arising from Well Participation Agreement, resulting in successful settlement for the client.
- Represented operator in dispute with non-operator regarding usage of salt water disposal well under the terms of Joint Operating Agreement, resulting in successful settlement for the client.
- Represented exploration and production company in a force majeure contractual dispute of deepwater rig charges during government-imposed moratorium stemming from Deepwater Horizon incident.
- Counseled Executive Vice President serving on Producer Creditor Committee in midstream bankruptcy, including successful negotiation of settlement in favor of oil and gas producers.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company in defense of historical environmental contamination claims, involving multiple cross-indemnity claims, resulting in successful settlement for client.
- Represented venture capital fund in mitigating losses stemming from failed investments, including management of bankruptcy claims, and defense of breach of contract claims.
- Represented deepwater Gulf of Mexico exploration and production company in divestiture of all assets, resulting in successful transactions in excess of $200 million.
- Designed, created and implemented corporate compliance policy for private family office.
- Created and maintained environmental, health and safety, human resources, and corporate policies and procedures for exploration and production company, including implementation of comprehensive email retention policy, records retention policy, and drug testing policies and procedures.
- Represented private company in coordinating its COVID-19 response in offices across the United States, including compliance with variety of multi-jurisdictional employment law.
- Led corporate investigation into email phishing investigation, including coordination of response involving data privacy laws across 30 states.
- Represented private deepwater Gulf of Mexico exploration and production team in corporate wind-down.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association