Emily Wilson Bunting’s practice is focused on general tax planning for both individuals and businesses, wealth transfer tax planning for high net-worth families and individuals, estate and trust administration, business planning for closely-held family businesses, and local, state and federal taxation.
During her career, Emily has successfully represented clients in proceedings before the Oklahoma Tax Commission and the Internal Revenue Service. She also regularly advises clients regarding corporate and general business matters, including choice of entity, reorganizations, dissolutions and tax planning with limited partnerships and limited liability companies. Emily routinely uses a variety of wealth transfer and estate planning techniques to benefit clients, including revocable trusts, IDGTs, QPRTs, GRATs, family limited partnerships, valuation discount planning and sales to grantor trusts.
Emily’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represented private equity company as equity investor in the development and rehabilitation of the historic Fred Jones Manufacturing Company automobile plant in downtown Oklahoma City into a flagship 21c Museum Hotel.
- Reforming trusts to resolve ambiguous and inconsistent provisions and to allow for more flexibility while retaining generation-skipping tax exemptions.
- Negotiating and obtaining IRS private letter rulings regarding tax consequences of trust reformations.
- Structuring and implementing wealth transfer plans for high net-worth clients using valuation discount planning with family limited partnerships and family limited liability companies, as well as sales to grantor trusts and grantor retained annuity trusts.
- Marital planning.
- Preparation and advice concerning estate and gift tax returns.
- Structuring net profits interest awards for limited liability companies.
- Served as counsel to start up entities providing tax and business advice regarding entity selection
- Drafting operating agreements for various businesses.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s up-and-coming attorneys
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association