Emily Z. Xiao is a transactional attorney with extensive experience in commercial real estate, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions, with a strong emphasis on real estate acquisitions and dispositions, commercial leasing, joint ventures and other equity capital arrangements, financings, and the development of various types of real property, from mixed-use properties to unimproved land, as well as other corporate transactions involving real property and real estate-related businesses.
When serving as Oklahoma local counsel in connection with sophisticated multi-state transactions and financings, Emily provides thorough guidance on state-specific laws and regulations to lead counsel, borrowers, and lenders. Emily also devotes a portion of her practice to representing clients in the areas of business and entity selection and formation, business and transaction financing, corporate governance and compliance, and other general corporate matters.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft in 2021, Emily spent four years as a real estate attorney in the New York office of a premier international law firm, where she advised large institutional clients, including global asset management firms, private equity firms and domestic pension funds, in connection with all aspects of complex multimillion-dollar and multibillion-dollar joint venture, acquisition and sale, and financing transactions involving both domestic and foreign properties.
Emily earned her Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School in 2015 and her B.A. in sociology, with distinction in all subjects, from Cornell University in 2012. She grew up in Toronto, Canada, and spent time in New York City, San Francisco, and Madison before settling in Norman, Oklahoma, with her husband and two young boys.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represented an institutional asset manager in a joint venture with a multinational owner and manager of logistics facilities to acquire a 54-property portfolio of high flow-through industrial facilities located in 27 states across the United States.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in the joint venture acquisition and related financing of a 55-floor residential rental tower located in downtown Brooklyn, NY.
- Served as an advisor to a large domestic pension fund in the $400 million sale of a trophy office building in Washington, D.C.
- Advised an institutional asset manager in the formation of a multi-party joint venture to acquire, finance, and redevelop a full square block in New York City as a mixed-use (office/retail) project.
- Represented a private equity client in a sale leaseback of a portfolio of six properties in North Carolina and Virginia.
- Represented a private equity client in its investment in a manufacturing company and related lease and real estate financing matters.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in its $65 million joint venture acquisition of a ground lease interest for mixed-use development and related $43 million construction financing in Flushing, NY.
- Served as an advisor to a large domestic pension fund in its $490 million joint venture acquisition and development of a national portfolio of over 50 properties across 20 states.
- Served as an advisor to a large domestic pension fund in its $300 million joint venture acquisition and development of a portfolio of properties, and related $181 million construction financing, for a trophy office building development in Chicago, IL.
- Served as an advisor to a large domestic pension fund in its $8 million joint venture land acquisition and $18 million construction financing for industrial development in Piscataway, NJ.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in its $150 million joint venture acquisition of a 28-acre portfolio of properties along the Chicago River to be developed into a mixed-use project in Chicago, IL, known as Lincoln Yards South, as part of the city of Chicago’s pitch for Amazon’s HQ2.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in its $510 million joint venture acquisition and $429 million mortgage and mezzanine financing of Groupon’s headquarters in Chicago, IL.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in its $113 million joint venture acquisition of The Parker, a luxury multi-family tower in the Fulton Market neighborhood of Chicago, IL.
- Represented a prominent family office investment firm in its $80 million joint venture acquisition and predevelopment of land in the southwestern U.S.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in its joint venture acquisition and $46 million development of an industrial warehouse in Chicago, IL.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in the sale of The Girard, a multi-family development in Boston’s South End neighborhood, to Equity Residential for over $116 million.
- Represented HD Supply in the real estate financing aspects of its sale of its Waterworks Division, the largest distributor of waterworks products in the U.S., to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice for $2.5 billion.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in its $150 million financing of an outdoor retail center in Raleigh, NC.
- Represented Third Point, an SEC-registered investment adviser, in its $20 million joint venture acquisition and financing of a luxury resort known as Playa Grande Club & Reserve in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented Hertz in the real estate financing aspects of its $2.5 billion spin-off of its equipment and rental business.
- Represented Reynolds Group Holdings in the real estate financing aspects of the issuance of $2.1 billion senior secured fixed and floating rate notes and $800 million senior notes.
- Represented American Securities and P2 Capital Partners in the real estate financing aspects of their $855 million acquisition of Blount International.
- Represented an institutional asset manager in its joint venture acquisition and financing of Ink Block, a mixed-use project on the site of the old Boston Herald headquarters in Boston, MA.
Honors and Awards
Named to Lawyers of Color’s 2022 Hot List, which recognizes junior- and mid-level attorneys who excel in the legal profession
Professional Organizations and Memberships
New York State Bar Association