As the practice group leader of the Aviation Group, Erin Van Laanen oversees one of the largest and most experienced FAA aircraft title and financing legal teams in the United States. Her practice is concentrated in the areas of aircraft title, registration, financing and leasing and related matters concerning the United States Federal Aviation Act, the FAA Aircraft Registry in Oklahoma City, and the Cape Town Convention.
In addition to being a featured speaker at aircraft conferences sponsored by the Strategic Research Institute, American Bar Association, ABA Forum on Air and Space Law, National Aircraft Finance Association, Oklahoma City Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, International Institute for Research, and International Bar Association, Erin is a regular guest lecturer on Air and Space Law for the University of Mississippi School of Law’s master of laws program. She also currently serves on the board of directors of the National Aircraft Finance Association.
Erin’s achievements have earned her inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (aviation law; equipment finance law), Oklahoma Super Lawyers, Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers and The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers. She was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Equipment Finance Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2019, honors only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community.
In 2018, Erin was one of 547 lawyers worldwide to be honored with Lexology’s Client Choice Award, which recognizes lawyers who provide excellence in client care and quality of service.Download Bio (PDF)
- Advising local and national clients with buying, selling and financing corporate aircraft.
- Advising clients on ownership structures to comply with the citizenship requirements set forth in the FAA Transportation Code and attendant federal regulations.
- Structuring owner and voting trust agreements to comply with the FAA requirements.
- Structuring LLC ownership and management to comply with FAA citizenship and registry requirements.
- Title examination of FAA records to determine the status of record ownership, liens, encumbrances and other issues relevant to title.
- Escrowing of documents and funds, facilitating and negotiating the process and timing of closing so that all parties’ interests are protected.
- Advising clients on operational issues of private aircraft ownership, fractional ownership, and compliance with Part 91.501 and Subpart K of the FAA regulations.
- Advising clients on the applicability of the Cape Town International Convention and the Aircraft Protocol to aircraft transactions, and protection of relevant aircraft interests.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (aviation law; equipment finance law)
- Named the “Oklahoma City Equipment Finance Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2019 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with Lexology’s Client Choice Award, recognizing lawyers worldwide who provide excellence in client care and quality of service (2018)
- Listed inLegal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law
- Listed in Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Board of Directors and General Counsel)
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Member, Real Property Section/Title Examination Standards Subcommittee; Oklahoma County Delegate to the Oklahoma Bar Association)
- American Bar Association (ABA Forum on Air and Space Law)
- Federal Bar Association, Oklahoma City Chapter (Secretary)
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg Inn of Court, Oklahoma City Chapter (Barrister)
- National Aircraft Finance Association (Board of Directors)
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Allied Arts (Board Member)
- Arts Festival (Volunteer)
- OCARTS — Transportation Citizen Review Committee
- Oklahoma City Public School Foundation Partnership Program (Mentor/Reading Assistant for elementary school students)
- Oklahoma County League of Women Voters (President, 1994-1996)
- Oklahoma League of Women Voters (Treasurer, 1998-1999)
- Regional Food Bank (Fundraising Committee)