Jim Prince’s practice is concentrated in the representation of employers, employee benefit plans and individuals primarily in the areas of ERISA, taxation and corporate law. He has extensive experience in organizing new business entities and in representing clients, including employee benefit plans, in matters involving the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Labor. Jim has also represented taxpayers in matters before the U.S. Tax Court.
Jim’s experience and expertise have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employee benefits/ERISA law; health care law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. He is also a certified public accountant and frequent speaker at seminars and conferences on employee benefit related topics.
Jim previously served as leader of the firm’s Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Group, overseeing one of the Southwest’s largest and most experienced teams of employee benefits lawyers.
Prior to law school, Jim worked in both auditing and management consulting for two different international accounting firms. As part of that experience, he lived on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California, for approximately a year.Download Bio (PDF)
- Representation of public and private employers in structuring qualified retirement benefit strategies, including profit sharing, employee stock ownership plans (ESOP), defined benefit pension plans and 401(k) plans.
- Developing executive compensation programs such as deferred compensation and stock option and stock purchase plans.
- Representation of employers in Department of Labor investigations and Internal Revenue Service audits.
- Representation of collectively bargained plans in drafting plan documents and in negotiating with the Internal Revenue Service and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation in connection with funding issues.
- Representation of business entities in mergers, acquisitions and dispositions.
- Formation of new business entities.
- Representation of tax-exempt organizations in obtaining exempt status and compliance with regulatory requirements.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employee benefits/ERISA law; health care law)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- SouthWest Benefits Association
- IRS Employee Plans / Exempt Organization Gulf States Council