Jeremy Black’s practice is focused on federal, state and local tax planning for public and private corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and individuals; tax structuring of complex business transactions; and providing general business advisory services to clients in a wide variety of industries.
Jeremy has experience in structuring various complex joint venture arrangements utilizing both a corporate and partnership form, providing guidance on general choice of entity selection and related tax analysis, and tax planning around both equity and asset acquisitions and dispositions and other complex mergers and acquisitions transactions. In addition, he has experience with structuring and administering tax-deferred (1031) transactions to maximize both federal and state cash tax savings and has significant tax controversy related experience.
Jeremy’s achievements have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (corporate law, mergers and acquisitions law; tax law).
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft, Jeremy worked as a senior tax attorney for one of the nation’s largest oil and gas companies, where he served as the lead in-house tax counsel on a wide variety of matters including public and private securities offerings, numerous joint venture structures, and complex financing arrangements. Jeremy’s prior experience included providing counsel on matters such as various large-scale cash and carry oil and gas joint ventures, initial public offering (IPO) of a midstream master limited partnership (MLP), IPO of an oil and gas royalty trust that utilized the publicly traded partnership (PTP) structure, and numerous volumetric production payment (VPP) transactions. He was also responsible for partnering with the company’s various business units to ensure maximum tax efficiency across all the functional areas.Download Bio (PDF)
- Counsel to multiple clients related to stock sales and purchases, partnership sales and purchases, assets sales and purchases, and reorganizations.
- Counsel to client regarding the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a large publicly traded oil and gas company.
- Counsel to multiple clients related to the formation of complex joint ventures, including oil and gas cash and carry transactions, farmout arrangements, and private equity deals.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (corporate law, mergers and acquisitions law; tax law)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Taxation Law Section and Energy and Natural Resources Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Section of Taxation and Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources)