Jessica John Bowman is a patent attorney and trial lawyer whose practice is primarily focused on intellectual property, environmental, and appellate litigation. Jessica draws from both her technical background and her experience as a law clerk to prepare briefing on complex issues in a manner that is clear and easy to understand. Jessica has defended equipment manufacturers, retailers, service providers and oil and gas clients from allegations of patent infringement, obtaining favorable rulings in the trial court proceedings and, when necessary, assisting with the successful defense of those rulings on appeal.
Jessica also maintains an active practice before the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board, assisting numerous retailers, manufacturers, and banking institutions in opposition and cancellation proceedings. In addition to representing clients in all phases of TTAB proceedings, Jessica has negotiated the successful resolution and settlement of a large number of trademark and trade dress disputes.
Jessica is a chemical engineer with previous experience in environmental permitting and regulation, and draws on that experience when representing clients in connection with environmental litigation. Jessica has successfully represented clients in connection with litigation arising out of chemical spills, the sale of waste processing facilities, and nuclear waste disposal.
Although Jessica specializes in litigation, she draws from her knowledge of current litigation trends to assist clients in identifying areas of risk and advising clients how to minimize their risk of facing allegations of false advertising, improper labeling, deceptive trade practices, trademark and trade dress infringement, and non-compliance with various state and federal regulations.
Jessica is a contributing author and editor of the Oklahoma and Arkansas chapters of U.S. State Trademark and Unfair Competition Law, a comprehensive reference guide published annually by the International Trademark Association.
Jessica’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” and The Best Lawyers in America (trademark law)
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft, Jessica clerked for the Honorable Judge Kenneth Ripple on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Judge Gregory Frizzell at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma.Download Bio (PDF)
- Preparing briefs challenging the validity of an issued patent in ongoing dispute before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Assisted in the defense of a patent infringement dispute in the Middle District of Florida, resulting in a dismissal of the claims, which was summarily affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Represented banking client in the successful opposition of trademark applications and cancellation of registered marks in order to pave the way for nationwide use of the client’s mark.
- Assist banking institution in protecting its trademark through trademark registration and aggressive use of cease-and-desist letters.
- Assisted national retailer in opposing infringing trademark, resulting in the withdrawal of the application to register and a favorable settlement the cessation of use of the infringing mark.
- Advised food industry clients on labeling compliance matters and strategies for avoiding claims of false-advertising and deceptive trade practices.
- Drafted Markman brief proposing claim constructions for six disputed terms, the majority of which were adopted by the court or otherwise construed in client’s favor, resulting in stipulation of dismissal by opposing party.
- Successfully opposed motion for preliminary injunction seeking to prohibit alleged misuse of confidential information, trademarks and trade dress by current client.
- Opposed out-of-state trademark infringement action on standing and mootness grounds which, together with an offer of judgment, resulted in favorable stipulation of dismissal of the action for Oklahoma client.
- Submitted numerous responses to office actions by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, obtaining registration of various trademarks over the initial objection and rejection of the examining attorneys.
- Responded to demand letter brought against client under the CAN-SPAM Act, opposing numerous claimed violations and ultimately obtaining favorable settlement terms prior to the filing of a civil action.
- Advised oil and gas client on advertising policy based upon the Federal Trade Commissions’ recently revised “Green Guides.”
- Counseling and defending large national food manufacturer in dispute challenging use of the term “natural” on food product labels.
- Provided feedback on company’s inquiry concerning the use of event photos and images on social media websites.
- Advised quasi-governmental venue regarding potential First Amendment claims that may arise as a result of client’s policy governing conduct of guests and licensees, and assisted with the development of a policy that would prevent such claims.
- Advised private entity of potential First Amendment and Due Process claims available to it in a pending matter.
- Participated in the briefing of two petitions for certiorari before the Oklahoma Supreme Court.
- Obtained asylum for pro bono client based on prior persecution for religious beliefs.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (trademark law)
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s up-and-coming attorneys
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Tulsa Ballet Barre Society
- Laura Dester Children’s Center (Volunteer)
- Tulsa Zoo (Volunteer)