Jodi Cole is a trial lawyer whose practice is primarily focused on complex business litigation, with specific emphasis on matters affecting the energy industry. Her litigation experience includes representing oil and gas exploration and production companies in class action royalty lawsuits as well as disputes involving surface damages, pollution and other environmental issues, quiet title, lease cancellation, bodily injury, property damage, and materialmen’s and mechanics’ liens. The transactional component of her energy practice includes negotiating oil and gas leases and drafting and negotiating industry-related agreements, with particular emphasis on master service agreements.
Jodi’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Benchmark Litigation’s “40 & Under Hot List” of trial lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America (energy law; oil and gas law), and Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars.”
Jodi’s career experience includes representing management in all phases of employment law, including litigation. In addition to counseling employers on best practices in the workplace and regulatory compliance, she has represented clients in state and federal courts and in arbitration and administrative proceedings. Her work in this area included advocating for employers before the Equal Opportunity Commission, Oklahoma Office of Civil Rights Enforcement, and the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission.Download Bio (PDF)
- Obtained favorable settlement for exploration and production company in a class action lawsuit alleging failure to pay royalties and violation of the Oklahoma Production Revenue Standards Act.
- Defending a leading U.S.-based developer of renewable energy facilities against claims of public and private nuisance arising from the construction of a wind energy project in Oklahoma.
- Negotiated and drafted master service agreements on behalf of operators and service providers in the oil and gas industry, as well as for companies providing environmental response and remediation services.
- Obtained jury verdict in the Western District of Oklahoma in favor of a provider of technology-oriented undergraduate and graduate degree programs in an age discrimination lawsuit.
- Successfully defended retail owner in an unemployment compensation claims brought by a former employee who was terminated for misconduct.
- Successfully represented shareholder of closely held corporation in arbitration in which the company refused to pay fair market value for the shareholder’s stock.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Benchmark Litigation’s “40 & Under Hot List” of trial lawyers
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (energy law; oil and gas law)
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Mineral Lawyers Society of Oklahoma City
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Red River Community Corps (Board of Directors)
- Girls on the Run of Oklahoma County (Board of Directors)
- Redbud Classic (Board of Directors)