Kristin Simpsen is a trial lawyer whose practice is primarily focused on general civil and business litigation and labor and employment law. Kristin has second-chair case management experience involving the representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in civil litigation matters, including contract disputes, insurance-related disputes, construction matters, and condemnation actions. She counsels and represents employers in all phases of labor and employment law, including litigation before state and federal courts, regulatory and administrative agencies. Her experience also includes advising clients on such issues as drug and alcohol testing, employee handbook and policy development, and wage and hour matters, as well as litigation avoidance and compliance with other federal and state laws.
Kristin’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Benchmark Litigation’s “40 & Under Hot List” of trial lawyers and Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.
Download Bio (PDF)
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of manufacturing client on two plaintiffs’ claims of race and disability discrimination, harassment, and intentional infliction of emotional distress by demonstrating that neither plaintiff suffered an adverse employment action.
- Defeated former car wash employee’s claims for wrongful termination and disability discrimination by demonstrating his employment was terminated for a legitimate business reason.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a rural hospital on claims of race, national origin, and age discrimination brought by a physician assistant.
- Obtained dismissal of claims of wrongful termination and retaliatory discharge, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent hiring and supervision brought by a former healthcare facility employee who was terminated for falsifying time records.
- Obtained a jury verdict on behalf of an Oklahoma landowner who sought just compensation in a condemnation case involving a 7.24-acre permanent easement taken by a public utility for the purpose of constructing a transmission system across the landowner’s property. The jury award exceeded the court-appointed commissioners’ award by 172%. As a result, the client/landowner was awarded its attorney’s fees, appraisal fees and costs against the utility company.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a manufacturing employer in a case in which the 11 employee plaintiffs sought overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act for having to wear pagers while on call.
- Successful second chair representation in an American Arbitration Association arbitration of property owner against architect on claims of breach of contract and negligent design.
- Obtained summary judgment on the issue of liability in a bailment case for property owner against storage facility which resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a financial institution against a former employee’s claims of wrongful discharge, defamation, breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and unpaid wages under the Oklahoma Wage Act.
- Obtained summary judgment for a manufacturing employer on an employee’s claims of a hostile work environment; race, gender, and age discrimination; and FMLA retaliation and interference.
- Successful second chair representation obtaining a jury verdict on behalf of landowners who sought just compensation in a condemnation case involving the partial taking by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation of a 3.6-acre tract of land located near the junction of two major interstate highways. The jury award of nearly $1 million exceeded ODOT’s appraised value by more than 55 percent.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a staffing company client in a suit where the plaintiff sought a declaratory judgment that the client was the alter ego of another entity. The plaintiff sought to hold the client liable for the more than a half-million-dollar verdict he recovered against the other entity for wrongful termination in state court.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Benchmark Litigation’s “40 & Under Hot List” of trial lawyers
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
United Way (Community Investment Committee)