Lloyd Hardin is a veteran real estate and business transactions attorney who represents individuals and public and privately held companies, both domestic and international, in a broad range of commercial transactions and in all phases of real estate sales and acquisitions, exchanges, construction and development, financing and refinancing, commercial leasing and real estate management. He is particularly regarded for his work on high-profile commercial projects that include nationally recognized hotels and resorts, golf courses, and office complexes from coast-to-coast.
Lloyd’s extensive career experience in the areas of real estate development and commercial transactions includes serving from 1987 through 1993 as vice president and assistant general counsel of Landmark Land Company, Inc., a New York publicly traded company headquartered in Carmel, California, which specialized in the development of world-class golf courses, resorts and upscale residential communities, followed by the ongoing west coast representation of domestic and international clients throughout the Pacific Rim, North America and Europe.
Accordingly, while the majority of his work is dedicated to representing clients in complex real estate and business matters which are primarily regional or national in scope, a material portion of his practice is dedicated to transactional interests which are international in nature.
Lloyd’s achievements earned him election as a Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers in 1987 and selection as a Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America in 2018, as well as inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (construction law; international trade and finance law; mergers and acquisitions law; real estate law; real estate litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Construction Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, an honor only given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community. In 2007, he was the recipient of The Journal Record’s inaugural Leadership in Law Award.
Lloyd previously served as an adjunct professor at the University of Oklahoma College of Law, where he taught advanced real estate transactions for a number of years. Lloyd continues those endeavors as a frequent public speaker and lecturer in matters of professional and community interest.
Appointed by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs with the approval of the U.S. Department of State, Lloyd serves as the Honorary Consul General of Japan for the State of Oklahoma and is an appointed member of the Oklahoma Governor’s International Team, where he has advised the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, the Oklahoma Legislature, the Secretaries of State and of Commerce and other Cabinet Secretaries with respect to international matters.Appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Oklahoma State Senate, he also serves on the Oklahoma Building Bonds Commission.
Prior to earning his law degree, Lloyd served as an infantry officer with the U.S. Marine Corps from 1971 to 1976. Lloyd is the co-founder, current executive vice president and a member of the board of directors of the U.S. Marine Corps Coordinating Council of Oklahoma.Download Bio (PDF)
- Representation of owners, operators, managers, developers, brokers, interim lenders, mezzanine lenders, permanent lenders (whether conduit or portfolio in nature), institutional investors, sellers, purchasers, landlords and tenants in all phases of all types of commercial real estate or business transactions located throughout North America, Japan, the Pacific Rim and Europe. Specific examples include:
- Liberty Park Office Complex, Birmingham, Alabama
- Quail Springs Corporate Park, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tower, Corporate Tower, Mid-America Tower, Robinson Renaissance Building, City Place Building, CBD, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Harkins Theatre Complex, Sonic Building and the Bass Pro Project, Lower Bricktown, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Ellis Square Complex, Savannah, Georgia
- ARCO Plaza, Los Angeles, California
- ITT Building, New York, New York
- La Quinta Resort, La Quinta, California
- Kiawah Island Resort, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Carmel Valley Ranch Resort, Carmel Valley, California
- Ocean Resort Hotel, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Gaillardia PUD, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Mosaic I and II Condominiums and Apartments, Houston, Texas
- Lebanon Ridge Apartments, Frisco, Texas
- Cobblestone I and II Apartments, Pearland, Texas
- Casa Bella on Westshore Apartments, Tampa, Florida
- Representation of owners, architects, contractors and engineers in all phases of the design, planning, permitting and construction of most types of real estate improvements, located in numerous jurisdictions. Contractors on many of these projects were frequently very large construction companies, with the architects for the office and resort projects including highly regarded national design architects.
- Representation of oil and gas clients in entity and/or asset acquisitions, sales and ongoing operational, transportation, marketing or storage activities, as well as traditional, capital lease and convertible financing or funding structures therefor, including, for example, transactions involving upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas production assets, transmission, marketing, refining and retail facilities, storage facilities and formations (including both above-ground tanks, as well as collection, liquid gathering and injection well systems), all variously located both onshore and offshore, and including some of the larger public and private domestic, international and Native American companies. Transactions include:
- Representation of clients in typical M&A entity and/or asset acquisitions, as well as funding structures therefor, including, for example, transactions involving oil and gas production assets (including Marcellus and Bakken shale plays), refining facilities, storage facilities, tank and pipeline projects and operations, as well as related production and marketing activities.
- Representation of clients in synthetic leases and similar non-traditional financing issues such as New Market and similar tax credit structures, including, for example, oil and gas related production, refining, transportation and storage facilities, large international manufacturers’ financing structures for large scale equipment, machinery, jigs and dies for manufacturing of vehicles and aerospace components, as well as large power generation facilities.
- Representation of domestic entities seeking to pursue the international export of proprietary knowledge, processes and products, as well as international joint ventures relating thereto, including inherent transfer pricing issues.
- Representation of business clients in overseeing or managing numerous broad scale litigation matters from a business or transactional perspective, such as environmental remediation, strike suits, condemnation, ADA and in asserted qui tam, RICO and shareholder derivative claims.
- Representation of landlords and tenants, lenders and investors in all aspects of commercial space leases for office, retail, entertainment, food service and industrial uses, within both multi-story and free-standing projects, consisting of most types of urban and suburban settings, including build-to-suit projects; ground leases; single tenant or purpose facilities; absolute or triple net leases; storage leases; and subordination, attornment, subletting, assignment and termination issues related thereto. Retail examples include both internal and free-standing space within community centers, regional centers, specialty centers and power centers.
- Representation of clients in all aspects of the development of major golf residential and hotel resorts, including La Costa Hotel and Resort in Carlsbad, California; La Quinta Hotel and Golf Resort in La Quinta, California; Kiawah Island Resort in Kiawah Island, South Carolina; Carmel Valley Ranch Resort in Carmel, California; PGA West Resort in La Quinta, California; Rancho La Quinta Country Club in La Quinta, California; Lost Canyons Golf Club in Simi Valley, California; The Payne Stewart Golf Club, Branson, Missouri; Highland Park Golf Course in Birmingham, Alabama; Moreno Valley Golf Club in Moreno Valley, California; Mission Hills Resort in Rancho Mirage, California; and Grenelefe Resort in Hillsborough, Florida.
- Representation of world-class golf courses in negotiating contracts for hosting major U.S. golf tournaments, including the 1988 PGA Golf Championship at Oak Tree Golf Club, 1991 Ryder Cup Golf Matches (U.S. vs. Europe) at Kiawah Island Ocean Course, 1987-1993 Skins Game PGA Golf Matches at PGA West Resort, 1987-1993 LPGA Nabisco/Dinah Shore Golf Championships at Mission Hills Country Club, 1994-1998 PGA Mercedes Championships at La Costa Resort, 1996-1998 Skins Game PGA Golf Matches at Rancho La Quinta Country Club, 1999-2000 Accenture World Match Play Golf Championship at La Costa Resort and the 2009 Woody-Vince Gill Charity Tournament at the Payne Stewart Golf Club.
Honors and Awards
- Elected Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (construction law; international trade and finance law; mergers and acquisitions law; real estate law; real estate litigation)
- Named “Oklahoma City Construction Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award, recognizing legal professionals for their professional and civic contributions to the state (2007)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (Fellow)
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Construction Lawyers Society of America (Fellow)
- Phi Delta Phi
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Governor’s International Team
- Oklahoma Building Bonds Commission (Senate Pro Tempore Appointment)
- Civic Center Foundation Board (Mayoral Appointment)
- Leadership Oklahoma (Class XIII)
- Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics Foundation (Board of Directors)
- Centre for Global Competency, University of Central Oklahoma (Charter Member)
- Economic Club of Oklahoma
- Carmel Bach Festival (Board of Directors, 1987-1993)
- Société Mondiale du Vin and Confrérie de la ChaÃ®ne des RÃ´tisseurs, Monterey, California (Vice-Echanson Honoraire)
- University of Oklahoma (Dan Daly Scholarship Selection Board; Bruzzy Westheimer Leadership Development Scholarship Selection Board)
- Fairways for Freedom Foundation for Wounded Veterans at Gaillardia (Co-Chair)