Rick Mullins is a trial lawyer whose practice is concentrated on healthcare issues, including Medicare fraud and abuse litigation and internal investigations, business torts, antitrust, insurance coverage, and other commercial controversies. He has handled cases before numerous state and federal courts, arbitration panels, administrative proceedings and grand jury investigations.
His clients include hospitals, multi-physician groups and other healthcare providers, government contractors, retailers, manufacturers, and insurance companies.
Rick has particular experience defending clients against allegations of fraud and abuse, including False Claims Act lawsuits brought by the government and qui tam relators. As part of this practice, he has represented numerous clients in various internal and external investigations, including grand jury investigations involving allegations of defrauding the government, and has been a frequent speaker before specialized industry groups on the topic of governmental investigations, “whistleblower” lawsuits, Medicare fraud, and other claims involving fraud and abuse.
Rick’s achievements as a litigator have earned him inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (bet-the-company litigation; qui tam law; health care law; health care litigation; commercial litigation; securities litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers.
Rick serves as the firm’s general counsel and previously served nine years on its board of directors.Download Bio (PDF)
- In a three-week, trial, successfully defended the former chief executive officer of a publicly traded laboratory company charged with participating in alleged criminal conspiracies to commit Medicare fraud and securities fraud. In the former count, the government brought what is believed to be the first federal prosecution of laboratory executives for alleged violations of the anti-kickback law. The client was acquitted on both counts.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of physician surgical group in qui tam action on more than 2,200 allegedly false claims involving multiple alleged schemes to defraud Medicare.
- Obtained a directed verdict in a trial where the plaintiff brought multiple tort and breach of contract claims against a hospital for alleged improper billing practices.
- Obtained dismissals on behalf of physician surgical groups in qui tam cases based on alleged Medicare fraud.
- Successful resolution on behalf of hospital in connection with U.S. Department of Justice’s national enforcement initiative regarding Medicare billing for implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs), coordinating experts to defend hospital practices and compliance department to implement proactive procedures to ensure regulatory conformity.
- Successful resolution on behalf of hospital in connection with qui tam case in which U.S. Department of Justice and State of Oklahoma intervened involving allegations of improper billing for inpatient services versus outpatient services.
- Successful resolution on behalf of hospital in connection with U.S. Department of Justice and State of Oklahoma investigation into allegedly improper billing for inpatient services.
- Successful resolution on behalf of construction company in connection with False Claims Act case brought by U.S. Department of Justice for allegedly improper billing for non-conforming materials.
- Successful resolution on behalf of technology research company in connection with False Claims Act allegations brought by U.S. Department of Defense.
- Representation of government contractor in a False Claims Act lawsuit brought by a relator and corresponding grand jury investigation.
- Representation of several hospitals and physician groups in internal investigations and subsequent self-disclosures under OIG self-disclosure protocol for overbilling and potential false claims issues.
- Obtained summary judgment and successfully resolved cases involving health insurance coverage disputes involving allegations of bad faith.
- Pre-litigation negotiation and resolution of allegations of fraud and abuse made by the government against physician practices and hospitals.
- Successful representation of national wholesaler in a multi-plaintiff employment dispute.
- Representation of client in equity skimming allegations brought by the U.S. Department of Justice on behalf of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Spearheaded numerous internal investigations on behalf of entities alleged by the government, whistleblowers or others to have engaged in defrauding the government or government-regulated institutions. Such entities have included physician groups, hospitals, construction companies, and government contractors.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (bet-the-company litigation; commercial litigation; health care law; health care litigation; securities litigation; qui tam law)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Foundation (Fellow)