Michael Joseph is a transactional lawyer widely regarded for his experience and expertise in representing clients in a broad range of corporate, healthcare, franchise and business law matters.
His successful, aggressive representation of client interests has been recognized by clients and peers alike and has earned his inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (biotechnology and life sciences practice; business organizations; corporate compliance law; corporate governance law; corporate law; franchise law; health care law; non-profit/charities law; project finance law), and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Corporate Compliance Lawyer of the Year” for 2012 and 2014, “Oklahoma City Corporate Governance Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, and “Oklahoma City Health Care Lawyer of the Year” for 2019, honors given only to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each community.
He was recognized for his professional and civic contributions to the state by being named to The Journal Record’s inaugural list of Leadership in Law honorees in 2006 and again in 2014. Leadership Oklahoma City honored him with its Distinguished Leadership Award and was the recipient of the Governor’s Arts Award. In 2013, the United Way of Central Oklahoma honored him with its John Rex Community Builder Award.
As a business lawyer, Mike represents privately owned businesses in joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, strategic and business planning, and corporate finance. He also represents numerous industry leaders, as well as emerging companies and tax-exempt organizations, in a variety of business transactions. In addition to transactional work, he regularly advises senior management and boards of directors on a host of organizational and operational matters.
Mike currently serves as the leader of the firm’s Healthcare Group, and his diverse business practice includes extensive experience representing and advising healthcare clients in a wide range of business transactions. He represents physicians and physician groups in Oklahoma and surrounding states, including a number of multi-specialty and single-specialty group practices in both private and academic settings. Also, he represents hospitals, including major tertiary referral centers, nonprofit hospitals, investor-owned hospitals, physician-owned specialty hospitals, religious-sponsored hospitals, academic medical centers, children’s hospitals, rural community hospitals, critical access hospitals, and government hospitals. Included among his clients are numerous other types of healthcare facilities, health-related institutions and foundations, trade associations, educational institutions, and healthcare organizations.
Mike regularly represents businesses using franchising, licensing and direct selling arrangements for the distribution of goods and services. He has a broad range of experience in representing franchisors in transactional and regulatory matters, including acquisitions and divestitures, contracting, development of franchise agreements and franchise systems, franchise registration, operational advice, antitrust and dispute resolution. He has represented franchise clients in a number of industries, including retail photography, food distribution, restaurant, healthcare, business services, building products, home accessories and other products and services.
He has worked with a host of nonprofit organizations, including public charities, private foundations, supporting organizations and other 501(c)(3) organizations. Leading organizations in the nonprofit sector frequently turn to him for guidance and assistance in legal matters applicable to nonprofit organizations, including those involving tax compliance, board governance, board and management responsibilities, fundraising and donor solicitation, planned giving, political advocacy, executive compensation, grants and grant-making, and a full spectrum of issues and challenges that the nonprofit sector faces. Additionally, Mike has also provided pro bono legal representation to numerous Oklahoma charitable and civic organizations.
A leader in the community, Mike serves on numerous community, civic and educational boards, advisory boards, selection committees, task forces and legislative advisory committees. He is a frequent speaker and organizer of educational conferences covering a variety of topics and serves as an adjunct faculty member and professor for the graduate-level course on “Nonprofit Organizations Law” at Oklahoma City University.Download Bio (PDF)
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (biotechnology and life sciences practice; business organizations; corporate compliance law; corporate governance law; corporate law; franchise law; health care law; non-profit/charities law; project finance law)
- Named “Oklahoma City Corporate Compliance Lawyer of the Year” for 2012 and 2014, “Oklahoma City Corporate Governance Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, and “Oklahoma City Health Care Lawyer of the Year” for 2019 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Named “Oklahoma City Corporate Compliance Lawyer of the Year” for 2012 and 2014 and “Oklahoma City Corporate Governance Lawyer of the Year” in 2013 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award, recognizing legal professionals for their professional and civic contributions to the state (2006, 2014)
- Honored with the United Way of Central Oklahoma’s John Rex Community Builder Award (2013)
- Honored with Leadership Oklahoma City’s Distinguished Leadership Award (2011)
- Honored with the Oklahoma Arts Council’s Governor’s Award (2008)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section; Health Law Section; Antitrust Law Section; Forum on Franchising)
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Corporate Law Section; Former Chair, Health Law Section)
- Oklahoma Health Lawyers Association (Founder and Former President)
- American Health Lawyers Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Butterfield Memorial Foundation (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Children’s Hospital Foundation (Past Member/Board of Advocates)
- Dean McGee Eye Institute (Board of Directors)
- Leadership Oklahoma City (Past Member, Board of Directors)
- Oklahoma Arts Institute (Board of Directors and Past Board Chair)
- Oklahoma Arts Institute Foundation (Board of Directors and Past Board Chair)
- Oklahoma City Philharmonic (Board of Directors, Executive Committee and Past President)
- Oklahoma City Philharmonic Foundation (Board of Directors, President and Board Chair)
- Oklahoma Health Center Foundation (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Oklahomans for the Arts (Board of Directors)
- OU Foundation (Board of Trustees)
- Potts Family Foundation (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- Presbyterian Health Foundation (Board of Directors; Chair, Grants Committee)
- Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, FoodLink (Past Member/Board of Directors)
- The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation (Board of Directors)
- The Homeless Alliance, West Town Resource Center (Former Member, Board of Directors)
- United Way of Central Oklahoma (Board of Trustees)