In addition to serving as the firm’s managing director, Michael Lauderdale’s practice involves civil litigation focusing on the representation of employers and management in all phases of litigation before federal and state courts, regulatory and administrative agencies, and arbitration panels. He has represented management in a variety of matters involving employment discrimination litigation, including claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), including class action wage and hour litigation. He has also handled litigation matters involving the enforcement of non-competition and confidentiality agreements, arbitration, breach of employment contracts, handbook and personnel policy violations, wage and hour disputes, and other issues arising out of the employer/employee relationships.
Michael’s practice also involves assisting employers and management in all day-to-day human resource issues, including: hiring and firing; employee classification; drafting and implementing handbooks and policies and procedures; investigation of claims of discrimination, harassment and retaliation; wage, hour and compensation issues; drafting and implementing agreements with employees, including offer letters, contracts of employment, noncompete and confidentiality agreements, and commission and bonus agreements; and the drafting and implementation of company wide arbitration programs. He also assists employers in providing training on a wide range of human resource-related issues focusing on litigation prevention.
Michael’s extensive career experience in dispute resolution includes serving as a mediator specializing in FLSA class actions.
His work has earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employment law – management; health care law; labor law – management; labor and employment litigation), Oklahoma Super Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation and Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, where he was noted for his “intelligent, aggressive and results-oriented style.” He was also selected by Best Lawyers as the “Labor and Employment Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2016.
Michael has previously served on McAfee & Taft’s board of directors and as co-leader of the firm’s Labor and Employment Group, one of the largest of its kind in the region. From 2002–2005, he also served as an administrative law judge for the Oklahoma Department of Labor.Download Bio (PDF)
- Nationwide defense of employment litigation and arbitration matters
- Representation of employers in litigation relating to employment contracts, commission and bonus disputes and non-compete and confidentiality agreements
- Representation of employers before the EEOC and various state human rights agencies
- Representation of employers in wage and hour and FMLA investigations by United States Department of Labor and wage disputes before state investigative agencies, including the Oklahoma Department of Labor
- Representation of employers before the National Labor Relations Board
- Representation of employers in FLSA class and collective action litigation and arbitration
- Representation of employers in before various state unemployment agencies including the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission
- Representation of franchisors in disputes with franchisees
- Representation of healthcare institutions for medical staff issues involving physicians
- Obtained dismissal of claims that a publicly traded energy company’s arbitration policy prohibiting class and collective actions violated the National Labor Relations Act. The National Labor Relations Board judge ruled the NLRB’s stance on class waivers could not be sustained in light of a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employment law — management; health care law; labor law — management; labor and employment litigation)
- Named “Labor and Employment Litigation Lawyer of the Year” in 2016 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- Administrative Law Judge, Oklahoma Department of Labor (2002 — 2005)
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (Board of Advisors)