Paul Ross is a trial lawyer whose primary practice involves the representation of employers in labor and employment disputes. His experience includes first-chair management of discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge matters in both federal and state courts, trial and appellate, as well as in arbitration and before governmental agencies. He routinely represents employers in a wide variety of matters, including claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act and other federal and state laws governing employers.
Paul also provides training and on-demand advice to employers regarding litigation avoidance and assists in day-to-day planning and decision-making, discrimination and harassment investigations, development of policies and procedures, employment contracts, non-competition and confidentiality agreements, reductions-in-force, and alternatives to reductions-in-force. His diverse client base includes municipalities and nonprofit organizations as well as companies engaged in a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, energy, telecommunications, retail and business services.
Paul serves as leader of the firm’s Labor and Employment Group, one of the largest of its kind in the region. He is a highly regarded speaker on issues in employment law, regularly addressing various human resource groups and management-level employees, and is an editor and contributing author to the Oklahoma Employment Law Letter. He has also provided training to other Oklahoma lawyers on employment law topics through the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Law of the Workplace program in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
In 2011, Paul was appointed to serve as an administrative law judge for the Oklahoma Department of Labor.
Outside of the labor and employment arena, Paul’s experience includes representation of business clients in a variety of complex commercial disputes. He has actively participated in litigation surrounding commercial contracts and business relationships, as well as shareholder derivative claims and toxic mold exposure. He also actively represents Oklahoma Native American tribes with respect to gaming and other regulatory issues with the federal government.
Paul’s achievements have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employment law – management; labor law – management; labor and employment litigation) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers.
Prior to embarking on his legal career, Paul taught mathematics at Edmond Santa Fe High School in Edmond, Oklahoma. He also supervised a 100+ member customer service staff at one of the nation’s largest mortgage servicing companies.
Paul and his wife Tristi are the proud parents of two daughters and one son.Download Bio (PDF)
- Managed the defense of a national manufacturing and service center in a lawsuit alleging discrimination on the basis of age, religion, disability and workers’ compensation retaliation. Paul achieved a victory for the client without the need for trial with a successful motion for summary judgment.
- Successfully defended a national telecommunications company in multi-plaintiff age discrimination and retaliation litigation in federal court.
- Successfully managed and negotiated resolution of shareholder derivative suit against publicly traded construction company.
- Successfully resolved female-on-male harassment litigation against an international waste management company.
- Successfully resolved fraud and negligent construction action on behalf of homeowners exposed to toxic mold.
- Managed the defense of a national retail distribution company in a lawsuit involving claims of disability discrimination and workers’ compensation retaliation.
- Secured early dismissal with prejudice on behalf of a small local construction company facing race discrimination allegations.
- Received defense verdict in favor of a local municipality before the personnel review board validating the termination of a high-ranking city official.
- Multiple successful appeals before the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission regarding unemployment compensation benefit awards.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employment law — management; labor law — management; labor and employment litigation)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association