As a former trademark examining attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Rachel Blue brings extensive experience and insider knowledge to her practice in intellectual property law as well as franchise law, entertainment law and unfair competition matters.
Rachel’s intellectual property practice primarily focuses on trademark clearance and prosecution (searches, opinion letters, filing, prosecution, appeals and maintenance of applications and registrations), opposition and cancellation proceedings, and enforcement. She also handles licensing of all types of intellectual property, coexistence and consent agreements, copyright prosecution and filing, and litigation of trade secrets, trademarks and copyrights. Her franchise practice consists of preparation and review of disclosure documents and franchise agreements, registration of franchises, and counseling for both franchisees and franchisors.
As part of her practice, Rachel works with a wide network of international associates and acts as U.S. counsel for lawyers and clients in Canada, the United Kingdom, Brazil and Korea on intellectual property matters.
She has previously served as the leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
Rachel’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law, intellectual property litigation, trademark law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers, where she has been named to its list of “Top 10 Lawyers,” “Top 25 Women Lawyers” and “Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers.” She was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Tulsa Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, 2016 and 2020, “Tulsa Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, “Tulsa Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, 2016 and 2021, and “Tulsa Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2019, honors given to a single lawyer in each legal specialty in each market. Chambers USA shortlisted her for its 2012 “Women in Law” awards, recognizing her as a finalist for the “Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year” award.
Rachel has been rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings, a certification mark signifying that her peers rank her at the highest level of professional excellence.
Rachel is a contributing author and editor of the Oklahoma and Arkansas chapters of U.S. State Trademark and Unfair Competition Law, a comprehensive reference guide published annually by the International Trademark Association.
Rachel is a graduate of the University of Tulsa College of Law and was inducted into the College of Law’s Hall of Fame in 2017. She worked for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in Washington D.C. for several years, where she was responsible for handling trademark applications and served on a special detail to the Assistant Commissioner for Trademarks. Upon returning to Oklahoma in 1995, Rachel established a substantial portfolio of large institutional clients, growing businesses, and individual entrepreneurs while in private practice.
Rachel developed and hosts the firm’s annual “Off The Record” event, which brings women law students together with practicing attorneys and judges to assist with career development. She is a frequent author on intellectual property matters and other topics, including adoption issues. She and her husband are adoption advocates and often speak on the topic.Download Bio (PDF)
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Shortlisted by Chambers USA for its 2012 “Women in Law”awards, recognizing her as a finalist for the Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year award
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (copyright law; intellectual property litigation; trademark law)
- Named “Tulsa Copyright Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, 2016 and 2020, “Tulsa Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, “Tulsa Trademark Lawyer of the Year” for 2015, 2016 and 2021, and “Tulsa Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year” for 2019 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ lists of “Top 10 Lawyers,” “Top 25 Women Lawyers” and “Top 50 Oklahoma Lawyers”
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Mona Salyer Lambird Spotlight Award (2020)
- Honored with the Fern Holland Award by the University of Tulsa College of Law Women’s Law Caucus for her advocacy for the empowerment of women (2019)
- Inducted into the University of Tulsa College of Law Hall of Fame (2017)
- Honored with the University of Tulsa College of Law’s W. Thomas Coffman Award for Community Service (2017)
- Named to the Tulsa Business & Legal News’ 2013 class of Power Attorneys and Legal Professionals
- Honored with The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award, recognizing legal professionals for their professional and civic contributions to the state (2010)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Past President, Intellectual Property Section; Member, Committee on Law Schools)
- Missouri Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Intellectual Property Section; Franchising Committee; Visual Arts and Dramatic Works Committee)
- International Trademark Association
- International Franchise Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Tulsa Day Center for the Homeless (Past President; Chair, Fund Development)
- Tulsa Street School (Board of Advocates)
- University of Tulsa College of Law (Dean’s Advisory Board)
- University of Tulsa College of Law Alumni Association (Past President)
- Tulsa United Way (Women’s Leadership Council)
- Catholic Charities (Volunteer)