Rich Johnson is a transactional and taxation attorney who focuses his practice on a wide range of legal issues, including business acquisitions and financing, tax credit financing, probate and estate administration, ad valorem taxation, tax litigation, and general corporate governance and operations.
Rich’s transactional experience encompasses the areas of asset and stock mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, real estate acquisitions and development, and related financing structures and agreements. In addition to complicated transactions, he also assists clients with their everyday business operations, including negotiating and drafting various agreements and advising on best corporate governance practices.
As a member of the firm’s taxation group, Rich enjoys advising clients on structuring economic development projects to qualify for state and federal tax incentives, such as New Markets Tax Credits (NMTCs), federal and state historic rehabilitation tax credits, and tax increment financing (TIF) districts. He also represents corporate and individual taxpayers in state and local taxation matters, federal and state tax appeals, and related litigation matters. Finally, Rich has significant experience in advising clients regarding state ad valorem taxation matters, including securing exemptions from ad valorem taxation for large nonprofit and hospital clients.
Rich also counsels clients in all aspects of estate planning, probate and estate administration, settlement of complex estate matters, and settlement and litigation of disputes regarding wills and trusts.
Rich’s achievements have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (nonprofit/charities law; tax law; trusts and estates) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft, Rich worked as a state and local tax accountant for one of the nation’s largest oil and gas companies and as a private practice lawyer focused on estate planning, probate and oil and gas law. While pursuing his graduate degrees, he also gained valuable hands-on tax, legal and oil and gas experience working for a national marketer of petroleum products and a diversified oilfield service company.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represented The Charles Machine Works, Inc., parent company of Ditch Witch, American Augers, and other leading brands in the underground construction market, in the sale of the privately held company to The Toro Company (NYSE: TTC).
- Provide ongoing representation of the Oklahoma City Thunder with respect to sponsorship agreements and other operational matters.
- Representation of various community development entities, project sponsors, tax credit investors, and leverage lenders in New Markets Tax Credit financings for projects valued in excess of $250 million in the aggregate, including joint NMTC/historic financing of the 21c hotel in downtown Oklahoma City and NMTC financing of a micro-mill steel production facility located in Durant, Oklahoma.
- Assisting a development entity and various subsidiary LPs in all aspects of the redevelopment of a one million-square-foot building in downtown Oklahoma City with anticipated costs in excess of $250 million, including real estate matters, organizational matters, various economic development matters and financing arrangements, including tax increment financing, new markets tax credit financing, and historic rehabilitation tax credit financing.
- Representation of various tax-exempt entities in connection with ad valorem tax matters throughout the state of Oklahoma generating in excess of $3 million in tax savings in the aggregate.
- Representation of various local charitable entities, including the Central Oklahoma Humane Society and the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, in all aspects of business operations.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (nonprofit/charities law; tax law; trusts and estates; trusts and estates litigation)
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
Oklahoma City Ballet (Board of Trustees)