Rob Garbrecht is a commercial transactions attorney who principally practices in the areas of real estate, business acquisitions, finance, and state and local taxation law. He has substantial experience in structuring and negotiating business acquisitions and strategic business relationships, including public-private partnerships (PPPs). His real estate practice focuses on the acquisition, development, leasing and financing of real property, as well as wind energy projects.
A certified public accountant since 1987, Rob also represents clients in all aspects of state and local taxation matters, especially ad valorem taxation matters. Prior to entering law school, he practiced in the tax department of an international accounting firm.
Rob currently serves as the leader of the firm’s Real Estate Group and has previously served on McAfee & Taft’s board of directors as well as co-leader of the Business Transactions and Finance Group.
In addition to authoring “Oklahoma Purchase and Sale Issues for Buyers” published in the May 2017 edition of The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, Rob has been a featured speaker on a variety of business matters at seminars conducted by civic and professional organizations and has been an adjunct professor at the University of Oklahoma College of Law.
Rob’s achievements have earned him election as a Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers as well as inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Oklahoma Super Lawyers, and The Best Lawyers in America (business organizations; corporate law; mergers and acquisitions law; real estate law). He was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year” in 2019. Rob was also selected for inclusion in the 2007 (61st) edition of Marquis Who’s Who in America.Download Bio (PDF)
- Represented a large, privately owned operator of hospitals, clinics, and outpatient therapy and imaging centers in eight separate but related real estate transactions involving the sale and leaseback of nine healthcare properties to a Florida-based publicly registered real estate investment trust (REIT).
- Representation of a real estate private equity fund in its acquisitions and dispositions of various real estate properties, including large commercial office buildings and single and multi-tenant industrial facilities.
- Representation of a family-owned real estate business in its acquisitions and financings of real estate properties in multiple states.
- Representation of parties involved in Oklahoma wind energy projects, including analysis of real estate, environmental, permitting, and Oklahoma tax matters.
- Representation of buyers and sellers in all aspects of business acquisitions in a variety of business industries, including lumber and building materials, construction, professional services, energy, oilfield services, communications, food service and manufacturing. His representation typically involves negotiating the structure of the acquisition, including consideration of tax and non-tax issues in determining whether the acquisition will be an asset or stock (or equity) acquisition, letters of intent, confidentiality agreements, due diligence activities, financing, regulatory and other third-party approvals and closing of the transactions.
- Representation of an international aerospace manufacturer in the acquisition of its first U.S. manufacturing facility and commencement of its U.S. operations, including various incentives to locate the facility in Oklahoma, such as ad valorem tax exemptions, Oklahoma Quality Jobs rebates, New Markets Tax Credits, and foreign trade zone matters.
- Representation of an oilfield services subsidiary of a large publicly traded oil and gas company in the sale of all of its crude hauling assets in multiple states, including tractors, trailers and ancillary assets, and related real estate used in the business.
- Represented a large healthcare company in reorganizing and simplifying its capitalization and organizational structure through a series of mergers and other related transactions including, among other things, a private securities offering and amendment of existing credit facility.
- Representation of management in a management-led buyout of a large architecture, engineering and construction company, including raising of private equity funds, bank financing, and other matters concerning the structuring of the transaction and eventual sale of such company to a publicly held purchaser.
- Representation of a privately held rehabilitation hospital as a project sponsor in a complex financing arrangement with multiple lenders and New Markets Tax Credits financing.
- Representation of a large privately held lumber and building materials business in all aspects of its operations, with an emphasis on its acquisitions and real estate matters, including representation of this entity as a stalking horse or competing bidder in Section 363 bankruptcy sales.
- Representation of a public university in a public-private partnership (PPP) to implement a long-term operations and management arrangement covering the university’s utilities systems.
- Representation of an engineering, design and procurement company (EPC) in a unique transaction involving the financing and provision of EPC services related to a geothermal power plant.
- Representation of joint venture participant in military housing privatization projects throughout the nation.
- Representation of landlords and tenants in all aspects of commercial leasing transactions, including ground leases, single-occupant leases, and multi-tenant office, retail or shopping center, and industrial leases. Rob has recently been involved in one of the largest downtown office building leasing transactions, as well as a transaction involving a significant tenant in an upscale retail shopping center, both as counsel to the tenant.
- Representation of tenants of hangars and fuel facilities with local airport trusts.
- Representation of numerous clients in ad valorem tax matters, including, specifically, charitable healthcare providers in securing ad valorem tax exemptions. One such case, In re Assessment of Real Property of Integris Realty Corp., was decided by the Oklahoma Supreme Court in 2002, and Rob acted as lead counsel in the case from the development of the initial exemption concept through the Oklahoma Supreme Court decision. Rob also successfully represented a taxpayer in obtaining one of the largest reductions in valuation for ad valorem tax purposes with respect to an office building and industrial property.
Honors and Awards
- Elected Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named “Oklahoma City Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year” for 2019 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (business organizations; corporate law; mergers and acquisitions law; real estate law)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Selected for inclusion in the 61st edition of Marquis Who’s Who in America (2007)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (Fellow)
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Oklahoma City National Memorial Foundation (Board of Trustees)
- Wes Welker Foundation (Board of Trustees)
- Oklahoma Bar Association’s Lawyers in the Classroom (Volunteer)
- Oklahoma City Police Athletic League (Board of Directors)
- Committee of One Hundred — Oklahoma City