Ron Shinn is a trial lawyer whose civil litigation practice is focused on complex business disputes. His litigation experience includes cases involving business torts, franchise and license agreements, healthcare litigation, shareholder and corporate disputes, and white collar criminal defense.
Ron has represented healthcare providers in numerous cases arising under the False Claims Act. He has also litigated cases involving the federal Medicare and Medicaid anti-kickback statute and the Stark law.
Ron’s achievements have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation; health care litigation; qui tam law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers, and recognition as a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation.
Prior to entering law school, Ron served as a legislative assistant and press secretary for U.S. Representative Wally Herger of California.Download Bio (PDF)
- Following a bench trial in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma, obtained judgment on all claims relating to liabilities associated with corporate income taxes (including breach of contract and declaratory judgment) and an award of nearly $1 million in favor of clients who had sold their ownership interests in an oilfield services business to an international leader and competitor in the field.
- Obtained dismissal in North Dakota federal court for an individual client of a putative class action in which the plaintiffs, owners of mineral interests on tribal lands in the Bakken formation, alleged the defendants aided and abetted a breach of fiduciary duty by the United States government regarding the sale of oil and gas leases. Judgment affirmed on appeal to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successful representation of physician surgical group in qui tam action by obtaining summary judgment on more than 2200 allegedly false claims involving multiple alleged schemes to defraud Medicare.
- Assisted in the successful prosecution of a patent infringement lawsuit, both through trial and appeal.
- Represented a national retailer in insurance dispute involving fire losses. The case was settled on terms favorable to our client.
- Obtained summary judgment against one of the world’s largest insurance companies for improperly denying employer’s medical excess loss insurance claim.
- Assisted in the successful defense of a former public laboratory chief executive officer charged with participating in alleged criminal conspiracies to commit Medicare fraud and securities fraud. In the former count, the government brought what is believed to be the first federal prosecution of laboratory executives for alleged violations of the anti-kickback law. The client was acquitted on both counts after a three-week trial.
- Achieved numerous dismissals for physicians, hospitals and other healthcare providers in cases arising under the False Claims Act.
- Successfully obtained jury verdict for client seeking damages for fraud, civil conspiracy, breach of contract, and violations of the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act relating to the sale of goods.
Honors and Awards
- Named a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation; health care litigation; qui tam law)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Vice Chair, Bench & Bar Committee)
- Oklahoma Bar Association