Sharolyn Whiting-Ralston is an accomplished trial lawyer whose practice is focused on resolving complex business and commercial disputes in state and federal courts as well as in arbitration proceedings. She draws upon her unique career experience and insights working in both private practice and private industry to represent clients in a broad range of general litigation, including class actions and disputes involving contracts, corporate governance, corporate investigations, directors’ and officers’ liability, construction, energy and oil & gas, professional liability, and securities.
Earlier in her private practice career, five years of which was with McAfee & Taft, Sharolyn devoted a significant portion of her practice to representing employers and management exclusively in all phases of labor and employment law and litigation for more than eight years. During that time, her achievements in this area earned her inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and Oklahoma Super Lawyers.
Sharolyn rejoined McAfee and Taft in 2023 after working more than nine years in-house at an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company, serving most recently as general counsel, vice president of human resources, and corporate secretary. As a member of the company’s executive management team, she managed all aspects of the legal and human resources functions of the organization.
Prior to embarking on a legal career in 2006, Sharolyn worked as a commodity trader and product manager for Georgia-Pacific Corporation and as a director of marketing and product manager for a regional wholesale building materials distributor.
In 2023, Sharolyn honored with the Mona Salyer Lambird Spotlight Award by the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Women in Law Committee.Download Bio (PDF)
- Successfully defended and settled significant environmental law matter related to a Superfund site.
- Member of executive management team responsible for turnaround of insolvent company that led to strategic management of the longer-term entity, dispositions of approximately $600 million assets, renegotiation of new credit facility, and significant distributions to equity holders.
- Led company of approximately 1,000 employees through multiple reductions in force, retention programs, compensation format modifications, etc. during several years of financial challenges, new ownership, and ultimate divestiture.
- Successfully defended two energy companies in a breach of contract claim arising from an oil and gas agreement by convincing the jury to deny plaintiffs any damages post-trial.
- Obtained summary judgment in the Western District of Oklahoma on constructive discharge claim for national retailer and assisted in remainder of the case that culminated in a jury verdict for our client.
- Successfully defended national pipeline company against a breach of employment contract claim in the Northern District of Oklahoma.
Honors and Awards
- Honored with the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Mona Salyer Lambird Spotlight Award (2023)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Tulsa Day Center (Chair, Board of Directors)
- Tulsa Lawyers for Children (Pro Bono Attorney, 2006 – 2014)
- Gateway Foundation (Former Member, Board of Directors)